NAF_SPAC

Default Set page margins for page 1 only? Word 2002

I have a letterhead document which has a text box that goes vertically along
the left side. I've set a 1.8 left margin to accommodate that text box.

Is there a way to force all succeeding pages to go back to a 1 inch margin?
I know you can tell it to use headers/footers only on page 1 (which I also
had to do in this document), but is there a way to say 'only use these
margins on page 1'?

Thanks in advance -- I am desperate for help!!

Happy Wednesday.
Andrea Jones

Put your cursor at the top of page 2. Click on File - Page Setup and set
the margins to the new values for the rest of the letter. In the 'Apply to'
box in the Margins section of the window choose 'This point forward', this
will put a section break in your document so you can set the margins for the
rest of the document independently of the first page.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"NAF_SPAC" wrote:

I have a letterhead document which has a text box that goes vertically along
the left side. I've set a 1.8 left margin to accommodate that text box.

Is there a way to force all succeeding pages to go back to a 1 inch margin?
I know you can tell it to use headers/footers only on page 1 (which I also
had to do in this document), but is there a way to say 'only use these
margins on page 1'?

Thanks in advance -- I am desperate for help!!

Happy Wednesday.

NAF_SPAC

I should have given a bit more info on my document -- Here's the situation.
It's a letterhead template and of course letters may be 1 page or may be
multiple pages. I would like for people to open the letterhead, start typing,
and if their text goes to page 2, the margins automatically shift for page 2
and all the succeeding pages (back to a 1 inch all around).

It's good to know though that at least I was on the right track when I was
thinking of doing it the way you mentioned! I thought of putting in a section
break with new margins from there on out (which will work as a last resort),
but I'd really like to get it done without the section breaks.

I hope I'm making sense!

"Andrea Jones" wrote:

Put your cursor at the top of page 2. Click on File - Page Setup and set
the margins to the new values for the rest of the letter. In the 'Apply to'
box in the Margins section of the window choose 'This point forward', this
will put a section break in your document so you can set the margins for the
rest of the document independently of the first page.

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

Daiya Mitchell

I believe one way of creating a letterhead like you describe is detailed
here
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Scroll down to "Letterhead for a multi-page letter" and "More Complex
Letterhead", especially the second one.

I think, though the page will explain, that the general principle is if you
anchor the text box in the first-page header, then you don't need to change
the margins at all, as it will push the text out of the way.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

NAF_SPAC

WOW! That did it -- I had no idea you could put a vertical text box along the
left side within the header and it would still allow text to flow to the
right of the box. That absolutely solved my problem.

Thank you both so much for the help. Daiya, that link you sent me to
contained such wonderful information, I really appreciate all the trouble it
must've taken to put it all together. Amazing! You've made my day!

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I believe one way of creating a letterhead like you describe is detailed
here
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Scroll down to "Letterhead for a multi-page letter" and "More Complex
Letterhead", especially the second one.

I think, though the page will explain, that the general principle is if you
anchor the text box in the first-page header, then you don't need to change
the margins at all, as it will push the text out of the way.

Daiya Mitchell

Glad to help--I didn't write the link, but Suzanne Barnhill, who did, is
sure to see your comment. And it's nice to hear that a thorough explanation
instead of a quick and dirty fix is appreciated.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I believe one way of creating a letterhead like you describe is detailed
here
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Scroll down to "Letterhead for a multi-page letter" and "More Complex
Letterhead", especially the second one.

I think, though the page will explain, that the general principle is if you
anchor the text box in the first-page header, then you don't need to change
the margins at all, as it will push the text out of the way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PLancaster

I tried the method that was suggested but my margins on the second page
revert back to the margin's set on the first page. Any suggestions how to set
up a template with different margins on the second page. I am working in Word
2003.

Thanks!

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I believe one way of creating a letterhead like you describe is

detailed
here
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Scroll down to "Letterhead for a multi-page letter" and "More Complex
Letterhead", especially the second one.

I think, though the page will explain, that the general principle is if

you
anchor the text box in the first-page header, then you don't need to

change
the margins at all, as it will push the text out of the way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In FilePage Setup, you set the margins to the narrower setting that is
required, then if you need the wider margin on the first page, you insert a
textbox into the first page header. If you want it on the second and
following pages, you insert the text box into the primary header.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"PLancaster" wrote in message
news
I tried the method that was suggested but my margins on the second page
revert back to the margin's set on the first page. Any suggestions how to
set
up a template with different margins on the second page. I am working in
Word
2003.

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Indeed.

so
all may benefit.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I believe one way of creating a letterhead like you describe is

detailed
here
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Scroll down to "Letterhead for a multi-page letter" and "More
Complex
Letterhead", especially the second one.

I think, though the page will explain, that the general principle is
if

you
anchor the text box in the first-page header, then you don't need to

change
the margins at all, as it will push the text out of the way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You don't actually change the margins. You insert something into the margins
(header or footer) to push them in. At the top or bottom, this can be Space
Before/After added to the First Page Header or First Page Footer paragraph
(easier than the text box Doug recommends); on the left or right, you will
need a text box, frame, AutoShape or whatever, anchored to the First Page
Header.

"PLancaster" wrote in message
news
I tried the method that was suggested but my margins on the second page
revert back to the margin's set on the first page. Any suggestions how to
set
up a template with different margins on the second page. I am working in

Word
2003.

Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Indeed.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Losing format upon ENTER Jeff D'Amelio Page Layout 2 March 30th 05 11:31 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 01:04 AM
preview odd number pages on the right and even on the left mikeo Page Layout 6 February 26th 05 01:26 AM
how to convert wordperfect 5.0 floppy files to word pcoelho Microsoft Word Help 2 February 17th 05 07:55 PM