Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elisha Elisha is offline

Default Text Alignment

I am writing a report for psychology. It has to be written in APA style which
stipulates that the heading must be centred and the text underneath must be
aligned left. The text must follow on the next line below. When i press enter
it seems to jump down 2 lines and allows me to align left, but when i press
shift + backspace key the text centres again. I've been trying to get around
this for over an hour and i can't work it out! I know it's a paragraph tool
but is there anyway of making the heading different to the text? Thanks,
Elisha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Yes it is a paragraph function being applied here but it is not fully to blame.
The "heading" style has Centred alignment applied, yes, but also probably
either a large "Space after" or "Double Line spacing" applied.
When you press enter for a new paragraph you are taking this same style, you
apply the left align which is described as manual formatting (hence when you
use Shft+Spacebar to remove manual formatting it reverts back to centred).
When changing to the new paragraph you need to apply a bodytext/normal style
which is different from the "heading" style.
Word works best when using Styles, for further help see "Styles in Microsoft
Word" on the following very useful website:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html
Come back if you need any further assistance.
DeanH

"Elisha" wrote:

I am writing a report for psychology. It has to be written in APA style which
stipulates that the heading must be centred and the text underneath must be
aligned left. The text must follow on the next line below. When i press enter
it seems to jump down 2 lines and allows me to align left, but when i press
shift + backspace key the text centres again. I've been trying to get around
this for over an hour and i can't work it out! I know it's a paragraph tool
but is there anyway of making the heading different to the text? Thanks,
Elisha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elisha Elisha is offline

thank you very very very much. you just solved that problem so quickly! this
new word has got me confused! I'll get used to it though.
Thanks a lot

"Elisha" wrote:

I am writing a report for psychology. It has to be written in APA style which
stipulates that the heading must be centred and the text underneath must be
aligned left. The text must follow on the next line below. When i press enter
it seems to jump down 2 lines and allows me to align left, but when i press
shift + backspace key the text centres again. I've been trying to get around
this for over an hour and i can't work it out! I know it's a paragraph tool
but is there anyway of making the heading different to the text? Thanks,
Elisha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

You are very welcome.
Best of luck with the studying.

"Elisha" wrote:

I am writing a report for psychology. It has to be written in APA style which
stipulates that the heading must be centred and the text underneath must be
aligned left. The text must follow on the next line below. When i press enter
it seems to jump down 2 lines and allows me to align left, but when i press
shift + backspace key the text centres again. I've been trying to get around
this for over an hour and i can't work it out! I know it's a paragraph tool
but is there anyway of making the heading different to the text? Thanks,
Elisha

text alignment word document preview Page Layout 3 February 21st 06 05:04 AM
Text Alignment Lee Microsoft Word Help 2 January 6th 06 03:32 AM
What is the alignment of text when using the TAB key? glbachmann Microsoft Word Help 2 February 1st 05 02:08 AM
Text Alignment Ibrahim Awwad Microsoft Word Help 6 January 17th 05 08:11 PM
Can I change the vertical alignment of text in a text box? Fien Page Layout 2 November 25th 04 03:47 PM