Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Aurora Aurora is offline

Default Table of Contents

I am using Word 2003
I have never been very good at Word's Table of Contents, but can usually
figure out my problem - But not today. I have a 3 level TofC. The styles I
used are Header 1, 2, 3. I hooked up the styles with the TofC 1-3. In the
normal view, where you can see the styles used on the left side of the
screen, I highlighted the verbiage and selected the style to use. Header 1
and 2 show up in left hand side of the screen, but header 3 does not show up
there. Header 3 does show up in the style window in the toolbar when I put
my cursor over the verbiage. I am having trouble getting the level 3 of TofC
to show up in the Table of Contents. Where should I look to see what is
wrong? Are there any articles out there that would help me with the TofC? I
would certainly appreciate any help someone can give me with this. I have to
have this project to the printer today.

Thank you - Aurora
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Headings 1, 2, and 3 should show up automatically if you've selected three
levels for your TOC. From your description if sounds as if you haven't
applied Heading 3 correctly. Make sure you either select the entire
paragraph or just click in the paragraph (no text selected) unless you want
just part of the paragraph to appear, in which case select the text and
apply the style, which will be applied as a "linked" (character) style.

You might see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm, but I'm not
sure it will help. In the TOC options, make sure that Heading 3 has a 3
beside it. And in the TOC field code, make sure that 1-3 is shown for the
levels.