Jan

Default Merge Doc - Save letters when company site Changes

I know many have asked how to save the letters individually from a mail
merge. I am aware of Doug Robbins splitter code; but it saves each individual
letter.

I need something similar, but need to save "all" letters from the merge
document to a separate file when the "company site" changes. I do have the
company site merge field in the footer of the main document.

How can Doug's code be change to accomplish the above? Sorry, I don't know
VBA all that well. Any help would be greatly appreciated; otherwise I will
have to continue to run each merge per company site for each product several
times a week.

Doug Robbins

This bit of code may give you a few pointers, but it is not exactly what you
want.

To do what you want, I think that I might use a catalog or directory type
mailmerge in addition to the one that you are using now and then iterate
through the records in the catalog or directory mailmerge to get the
numbers of the sections from you present mailmerge document that you want to
save to the individual files.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Jan" wrote in message
news
I know many have asked how to save the letters individually from a mail
merge. I am aware of Doug Robbins splitter code; but it saves each
individual
letter.

I need something similar, but need to save "all" letters from the merge
document to a separate file when the "company site" changes. I do have
the
company site merge field in the footer of the main document.

How can Doug's code be change to accomplish the above? Sorry, I don't
know
VBA all that well. Any help would be greatly appreciated; otherwise I
will
have to continue to run each merge per company site for each product
several
times a week.

Jan

Doug,

Is there anyplace I can find out more about your idea of a catalog or
directory type mailmerge?

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

This bit of code may give you a few pointers, but it is not exactly what you
want.

To do what you want, I think that I might use a catalog or directory type
mailmerge in addition to the one that you are using now and then iterate
through the records in the catalog or directory mailmerge to get the
numbers of the sections from you present mailmerge document that you want to
save to the individual files.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Jan" wrote in message
news
I know many have asked how to save the letters individually from a mail
merge. I am aware of Doug Robbins splitter code; but it saves each
individual
letter.

I need something similar, but need to save "all" letters from the merge
document to a separate file when the "company site" changes. I do have
the
company site merge field in the footer of the main document.

How can Doug's code be change to accomplish the above? Sorry, I don't
know
VBA all that well. Any help would be greatly appreciated; otherwise I
will
have to continue to run each merge per company site for each product
several
times a week.

Doug Robbins

A catalog (Word 2000 and before) or directory (Word XP and later) is one of
the types of mailmerge documents that can be created in Word.

In this instance, you would just need the Company field in that mailmerge
which needs to be based on the same data source as used to create the
document that you want to split up.

Then you would need a macro that iterates through the rows of table in the
document created by executing the catalog or directory type mailmerge using
a counter to determine the number of rows for which the company name is the
same and then cut that number of sections from the document that you want to
split and paste them into a new document that you would save and so on.

--

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

This bit of code may give you a few pointers, but it is not exactly what
you
want.

To do what you want, I think that I might use a catalog or directory type
mailmerge in addition to the one that you are using now and then iterate
through the records in the catalog or directory mailmerge to get the
numbers of the sections from you present mailmerge document that you want
save to the individual files.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.