Troubled_Word_User

Default Word 2003 pegs processor at 100%

I have the office 2003 pro package installed on a new Windows 2000 computer
with Office patched as it should be. I can open all applications without a
problem except for Word. Every time I open Word (2003) my processor pegs at
100%. This occurs even with a blank page, older document, or newer document.
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Well...Word CAN be a pig...but this sounds like you may have an addin
or something sucking things up. Also...clear your temp folder to make
sure that's not the problem...as it could be. And you might want to
try renaming your normal.dot as a third troubleshooting technique if
the others don't help...it might be corrupt.

See these articles and go through the processes. If none of these
help, let us know what you did try and we can try to drill this down
with you further.

By the way...are you running Norton AntiVirus or have Adobe Acrobat
(the software, not just the reader) installed? If Norton, turn off the
Office addin. If Acrobat...that will have an addin, but if it's the
latest version (I forgot...7???) then you need to uninstall the addin
from the control panel, I believe.

Add-ins...One of Word's Most Common Problems

Maintaining Your Computer
http://www.mousetrax.com/maintain.html

Normal.dot Template-Explained

Good luck!

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:18:03 -0700, Troubled_Word_User
wrote:

I have the office 2003 pro package installed on a new Windows 2000 computer
with Office patched as it should be. I can open all applications without a
problem except for Word. Every time I open Word (2003) my processor pegs at
100%. This occurs even with a blank page, older document, or newer document.
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion?

Troubled_Word_User

Fantastic. I saw the adobe comment and went there first. I had to do a
chance on Adobe in add remove programs. You then do a modify and browse down
to where is has Microsoft Office. I removed that portion and I'm up and
running as I should be. I never did use the add, so not having it isn't a
problem for me.

Thank you for your response!

wrote:

I have the office 2003 pro package installed on a new Windows 2000 computer
with Office patched as it should be. I can open all applications without a
problem except for Word. Every time I open Word (2003) my processor pegs at
100%. This occurs even with a blank page, older document, or newer document.
Does anyone have an idea or suggestion?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Great! Thanks for the thanks...and also thanks for clarifying how to
fix it. I don't use Adobe...so I don't have first hand knowledge and
was just parrotting what others have told me. But your explaination is
clear enough for me to visualize what is needed. Thanks!

Dian ~