Tatakau

Default MDE and Mail Merging w/ Word

I am using Access 2000 and Windows XP.

I am trying to make a mail merge in Word with an encrypted & secured (via
FAQ steps) MDE. When I try to select the MDE as a data source though,
instead of getting a list of queries and tables to select from, I get
gibberish. It seems to be reading the MDE as straight text, instead of as a
database. I think Word doesn't recognize the encrypted/secured format.

Does anyone know how to mail merge to an MDE, or make Word recognize that
the MDE is a database with tables and queries instead of a 'delimited' text
file of garble?

Thanks!

Nick