Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Timbo Timbo is offline

Default maintain justification before line break

In older versions of Word, I could press SHIFT+ENTER to insert a line break
at the end of a line in a fully justified paragraph, and that line would
remain fully justified. When I try that in Word 2007, a line break is
inserted, but the preceding line becomes left justified. How can I add a
line break at the end of a line and keep the full justification of that line?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 16:14:00 -0700, Timbo
wrote:

In older versions of Word, I could press SHIFT+ENTER to insert a line break
at the end of a line in a fully justified paragraph, and that line would
remain fully justified. When I try that in Word 2007, a line break is
inserted, but the preceding line becomes left justified. How can I add a
line break at the end of a line and keep the full justification of that line?
Thanks.

The Shift+Enter should work in Word 2007 just like in previous versions. It does
work here.

For troubleshooting, try these:

- Try it in another document, and in a new blank document. If both of those
work, your current document is corrupted in some way. Copy everything except the
final paragraph mark and paste it into a blank document.

- Start Word while holding down the Ctrl key to start in Safe Mode. Does
Shift+Enter work now?

- If the last step worked, try renaming Normal.dotm and restarting Word in
regular mode. If not, try disabling any add-ins that are loaded to see if that
helps.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Timbo Timbo is offline

Must have been an issue with the document. I copied it into a new document
and it worked fine. Thanks!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or, before going overboard, go to Office Button | Word Options | Advanced.
Scroll all the way to the bottom, to the Compatibility Options, click the
plus to open the Layout Options, and make sure that "Don't expand character
spaces on a line that ends with SHIFT-RETURN" isn't checked.

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.