BonnieB

Default How do I keep merged records from printing only one record per pag

I am trying to merge staff records into a formatted directory. I can perfom
the merge, but I cannot get the records to print continuously. It prints one
record per page.

Doug Robbins

Exactly how do you have the main document set up. Assuming that all that
you want to repeat in the document is the datafrom the mergefields, you
should having nothing else in the document other than the mergefields.
Also, make sure that none of the paragraphs in the maindocument are
formatted to have a page break before them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"BonnieB" wrote in message
I am trying to merge staff records into a formatted directory. I can
perfom
the merge, but I cannot get the records to print continuously. It prints
one
record per page.

Graham Mayor

Have you setup the document type to Directory/Catalog? This type of merge
document inserts the next record immediately after the first but includes
everything already on the page for each record, so you need to merge the
list to a new document and then add supplementary text.

BonnieB wrote:
I am trying to merge staff records into a formatted directory. I can
perfom the merge, but I cannot get the records to print continuously.
It prints one record per page.

Jim Speiser

Default How do I keep merged records from printing only one record per

Do I understand correctly that there is no way around this? Is Mail Merge
not a scripting language of sorts, where you can "turn on the merge" at a
certain place in an existing document, and place a "Next Record /NoPage"
command where you want each directory listing to appear, then "turn off" the
merge? Or was that just WordPerfect....ten years ago....? (Sorry, don't
mean any offense to you Word fans, I'm just trying to get it straight)....

==JJS==

"BonnieB" wrote in message
I am trying to merge staff records into a formatted directory. I can
perfom
the merge, but I cannot get the records to print continuously. It prints
one
record per page.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Exactly what do you want to do?

You can in a form letter type mailmerge, insert the mergefields, then a
Next Record field and another set of the mergefields (anywhere in the
document) and you will then get a series of letters, each containing the
data from two records and the number of letters created will be one half of
the number of records in the data source.

But, I doubt that is what you want.

Word does not really have the ability to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge. And, though I have not used WordPerfect
for about 10 years, I doubt very much that it has the ability to do it
either. It is really something that is better done in a database such as
Access using grouping in a Report.

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article "How to Work Around
Duplicate Names in Mail Merge Data" at: