Ademar

Default Combining DDE Expressions

I use GoldMine's (CRM Software) link with Microsoft Word to merge documents.
GoldMine uses DDE to feed data from its database to Word. Here's an example
of a GoldMine DDE command that I can plug in to MS Word:
{DDEAUTO GoldMine Data CONTACT2-UACCTMGR \*CHARFORMAT}.

At the same time, I use some of Word's own merge commands to insert images
as a dynamic link. Here's an example:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "../../../Sigs/ADEMAR.BMP" \* MERGEFORMAT \d}

In this case, I'm merging a picture called "ADEMAR.BMP". What I need to
accomplish is have the picture file name be dynamic. I need the filename to
be feed through to Word from GoldMine's DDE command shown above. I tried
nesting GoldMine's DDE command into Word's DDE command but it didn't work.
It seems that Word is using whatever GoldMine feeds at the time I inserted
the DDE command and saved the document as a template. Therefore, it always
links the picture that was used when I first created/saved the template. I
have successfully combined GoldMine's DDE Commands with Word's DDE Commands
in the past but I have not had any luck with this one. I've tried several
variations of the following:

{INCLUDEPICTURE "../../../Sigs/{DDEAUTO GoldMine Data CONTACT2-UACCTMGR
\*CHARFORMAT}.BMP" \* MERGEFORMAT \d}

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ademar.

macropod

Hi Ademar,

A couple of points:
1. The path for an INCLUDEPICTURE field needs to be fully spelt out,
including the drive letter. AFAIK, you can't use network paths.
2. The \*CHARFORMAT and \* MERGEFORMAT switches are superfluous

Try something like:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "C:/My Documents/PicPath/Sigs/{DDEAUTO GoldMine Data
CONTACT2-UACCTMGR}.BMP" \d}

An alternative approach might be to use the DDEAUTO field to create a
bookmark and use that in the INCLUDEPICTURE field:
{SET PicName {DDEAUTO GoldMine Data CONTACT2-UACCTMGR}}
and
{INCLUDEPICTURE "C:/My Documents/PicPath/Sigs/{PicName}.BMP" \d}

Also, if the DDEAUTO field includes a path or filename extension, you should
delete them from the rest of the INCLUDEPICTUREfield.

Cheers
PS: INCLUDEPICTURE fields and the like normally use double back-slashes
(i.e. '\\') as path separators, but single forward-slashes, as shown above,
work just as well.

"Ademar" wrote in message
[...]

Ademar

Very educational.

But I still can't get it to work.
I tried your first one:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "C:/My Documents/PicPath/Sigs/{DDEAUTO GoldMine Data
CONTACT2-UACCTMGR}.BMP" \d}

This one gave me the same problem I was having before. When creating the
template, I update/toggle the DDEAUTO GoldMine expression and it plugs in
the correct value in its place. Then I update/toggle the INCLUDEPICTUR
expression and it merges the correct image. But then after I save the
template and do a merge, it merges the wrong image. It basically reverts
back to the image that I originally pointed it to.

Then I tried the SET PicName.
First, I'm not sure I did it right. How do I plug in the {PicName} field
without typing it in. It doesn't look like I can just type it in because
then the { } don't look valid. Also, are you sure you have the { }
positioned correctly because the way you have them it would make the "and"
be outside the shaded area.

Thanks!

"Ademar" wrote in message
[...]

macropod

Hi Ademar,

To insert the 'Picname' field, prepare your INCLUDEPICTURE like:
{INCLUDEPICTURE "C:/My Documents/PicPath/Sigs/PicName.BMP" \d}
Then select 'Picname' and press Ctrl-F9 to turn it into a field.

Cheers

"Ademar" wrote in message
[...]

Ademar

I did some more troubleshooting and it appears that GoldMine is feeding the
name of the currently logged in user as the filename. I basically doesn't
care what we put in the field, it always overrides it. That sucks.

--
Regards,

Ademar Nunes