Laura Glazer

Default Printing and Folding a 40 Page Booklet in WORD 2003

Hello everyone!

First, a general thank you for all of the suggestions in this forum.

Second, help!

I am making a pocket sized booklet with 40 pages of information. The final
booklet will be 4.25 x 5.5 inches.

I have laid out my 40 page document using the following settings in the PAGE
SETUP MENU:
- landscape orientation
- book fold
- 40 sheets per booklet

In the PAGE SETUP "OPTIONS" DIALOG BOX I choose "front of sheet" in the
OPTIONS FOR DUPLEX PRINTING area.

My computer is networked to our office copier. When I send the file to print
I go to the printer properties dialog box and I choose:
- N-up: OFF
- Duplex/Booklet: Booklet Left Binding

Five pages come out of the copier. When I fold these pages they are numbered
incorrectly. The backside of page 1 is page 22. The backside of page 1 should
be page 2.

The first sheet that comes off the copier has a page structure that looks
like this:

top left: page 20
top right: page 21
bottom left: page 40
bottom right: page 1

Depending on the way the pages are set the backside of the sheet is upside
down. But never the right kind of upside down.

Since I'm using Word 2003 I figure I should be able to use these booklet
features. I visited the "Booklet Printing" on the MVP page. But it seems to
be for Word 2002.

I assume that I am folding these sheets incorrectly. But I know it must be
more than that. When I play with the setting the placement of the pages
changes. I know I just need to find the right setting. Can you please tell me
if I'm on the right track? If so, please lead me further!

Thank you in advance,

Laura Glazer

Mary Sauer

This is for Word 2003

Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
"Laura Glazer" Laura wrote in message
news
[...]

Laura Glazer

Hello!

Thank you for such speedy replies to my post.

I reprinted the booklet using the Word 2003 instructions included in the
link. However, those instructions are for a large booklet. I am making a 4.25
x 5.5 inch booklet.

Suzanne, I don't think I'm using my copier/printer's booklet feature. I am
doing exactly as I indicated in my original email, using the dialog boxes
available through Word 2003.

When I print following the provided instructions with the settings on
"booklet left side" I am still getting confusing results which I describe in
my previous post.

If you don't mind, could you please address some of the details I provided?
I am following the instructions that Word provides yet my results are
unsatisfactory. Is Word not capable of printing a small booklet despite its
indication that it can? The pages that should be upside down and on the back
of other pages are not doing so.

Please help!

Laura Glazer

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

This is for Word 2003

Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
[...]

Dan Corban

Have you tried NOT checking the "Front of sheet" duplex option? From my
experience and understand of this duplex option, it could cause the exact
behavior that you are seeing. I am curious why you checked this option in the
first place.

Also, you mention you are enabling your printer driver's "Duplex/Booklet:
Booklet Left Binding" option. Enabling this feature in the printer driver
while using the native booklet printing in Word would probably cause strange
results.

"Laura Glazer" wrote:

I am making a pocket sized booklet with 40 pages of information. The final
booklet will be 4.25 x 5.5 inches.

I have laid out my 40 page document using the following settings in the PAGE
SETUP MENU:
- landscape orientation
- book fold
- 40 sheets per booklet

In the PAGE SETUP "OPTIONS" DIALOG BOX I choose "front of sheet" in the
OPTIONS FOR DUPLEX PRINTING area.

Five pages come out of the copier. When I fold these pages they are numbered
incorrectly. The backside of page 1 is page 22. The backside of page 1 should
be page 2.

I think you may have misunderstood what Word is doing or is capable of
doing. The reason I thought you might have a booklet setting in your printer
driver was the "Duplex/Booklet: Booklet Left Binding" setting you cited.

Word can create booklets by printing two pages side by side on one sheet. If
your printer is capable of duplexing, you can then print the corresponding
pages on the back of the same sheet, or you can manually duplex the pages.
If your printer is capable of printing a 5.5" x 8.5" paper size, then you
can print a small booklet this way. But Word cannot print four pages on an
8.5" x 11" sheet such that you can fold the pages the way you would a
four-panel greeting card, which I suspect is what you're trying to do (from
your description of Top Left, etc.).

What Word will do if you use "Book fold" to create a 40-page booklet is
print the following pairs:

40 and 1
2 and 39
38 and 3
Etc.

As a general rule, it is easier to print the single-sided sheets and then
use a copier or commercial printer to print duplex copies.

"Laura Glazer" wrote in message
[...]

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

This is for Word 2003

Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://msauer.mvps.org/
[...]

Laura Glazer

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for your reply. I had a hunch that I was trying to do something
beyond the program's capabilities.

I will proceed with the cutting and pasting.

Thank you for your time and knowledge. I'd have gone through an entire ream
of paper without you!

Laura Glazer

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

"Mary Sauer" wrote: