Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

Default Creating word outline automatically from a text file

How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format the text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find any way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want to view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans search)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Apply appropriate heading styles and it will all fall into place using
Outline view. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want to view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

Your solution is only from working within Word. My issue is that I have an
hierarchical information that I can generate a text file from. Then I want
Word to take this text file and import it as an outline. Can I do that?
Example:
Text file is (or any other format which I can programmatically generate):
1,A
2,B
2,C
1,D
2,E
3,G

Then Word needs to take this file and outline it like this:

+ A ----B
| ----C

+ D-----E
|-------G

(A is the parent of B and C, D is a sibling of A and a parent of E, E is a
parent of E)

Does someone know of a way to do it?
Roy.

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want to view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Using a copy of your text file, try AutoFormat and see what happens.

Otherwise, can you do it? Yes, by writing a separate vba program that
recognizes codes you put into your text file and applies heading styles as
you designate in response to those codes. Enjoy.
--

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want to
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

Autoformat didn't help. I'll guess if I want to do it, I will take your
advice and write VBA code. Thanks for your help. (It seems like a simple
feature that I wish would be included in the product)

Roy.

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want to
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If there are no numbers in the paragraphs other than the 1, 2, 3, etc., you
could use Find and Replace to search for 1*^p and replace with ^& formatted
with the appropriate heading level (Heading 1 for 1, Heading 2, for 2,
etc.).

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format

the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find

any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want

view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans

search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

Do you mean doing a regular exprerssion replace outside of word, and then
opening the text file in Word?

Roy.

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can format

the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't find

any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I want

view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans

search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Replace I described would be done in Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If there are no numbers in the paragraphs other than the 1, 2, 3, etc.,

you
could use Find and Replace to search for 1*^p and replace with ^&

formatted
with the appropriate heading level (Heading 1 for 1, Heading 2, for 2,
etc.).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Apply appropriate heading styles and it will all fall into place

using
Outline view.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version

of

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is

awesome!

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can

format
the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't

find
any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I

want
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans

search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

1*^p is not a valid search criteria in Word2000. I get an error that says the
the special character ^p is not valid when wildcard mode is on.

So how can I match the following, and change the heading type?

1,a
2,b
3,c

Thank you for you r help.

Roy.

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I can

format
the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I couldn't

find
any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that I

want
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them ans
search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use ^13 instead of ^p. I forgot that * is available only when using
wildcards.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Apply appropriate heading styles and it will all fall into

place
using
Outline view.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version
of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

http://addbalance.com/usersguide

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I

can
format
the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I

couldn't
find
any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that

want
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them

ans
search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

1*^13 work to match the lines, but ^&1 doesn't place a heading, it just adds
the literal 1 to the beginning of the next line.
What is the exact string I should type in the "Replace with" text box if I
want to add heading #1 to every line that begins with 1, ?

Thanks for all your help and time.

Roy.

"Roy" wrote in message
How can I create a word outline file from a text file. I

can
format
the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I

couldn't
find
any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy that

want
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand them

ans
search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see where I suggested using ^&1. What I said was, "^& formatted with
the appropriate heading level." By this I mean, type ^& in the "Replace
with" dialog. Then click Format, choose Style, and select Heading 1.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If there are no numbers in the paragraphs other than the 1, 2,

3,
etc.,
you
could use Find and Replace to search for 1*^p and replace with

^&

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Using a copy of your text file, try AutoFormat and see what

happens.

Otherwise, can you do it? Yes, by writing a separate vba

program
that
recognizes codes you put into your text file and applies

heading
styles
as
you designate in response to those codes. Enjoy.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

http://addbalance.com/word

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Apply appropriate heading styles and it will all fall

into
place
using
Outline view.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

http://addbalance.com/word

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version
of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

http://addbalance.com/usersguide

See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is
awesome!

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post

replies

"Roy" wrote in message

How can I create a word outline file from a text file.

can
format
the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I

couldn't
find
any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy

that
want
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand

them
ans
search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy

works perfect.
Thank you so much, and sorry for my MS Word ignorance.

Roy.

"Roy" wrote in message

How can I create a word outline file from a text file.

can
format
the
text
file any way I want with the level information, but I
couldn't
find
any
way
to import this to Word. I have some kind of hierarchy

that
want
view
using Word outline (when I can see levels and expand

them
ans
search)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sometimes I'm not as explicit as I should be when I'm posting in a hurry.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If there are no numbers in the paragraphs other than the 1,

2,
3,
etc.,
you
could use Find and Replace to search for 1*^p and replace

with
^&
formatted
with the appropriate heading level (Heading 1 for 1, Heading

2,
for
2,
etc.).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.