Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DaraLune

Default autotext problems

Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them don't?
Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Some are so silly that even Word can't stomach the idiocy.

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DaraLune

That was very helpful. Thanks you so much for your consideration. And to
think I thought this was supposed to be helpful. My apologies, primadonna,
for interrupting your thoughtful contemplation of...whatever it is you
contemplate. Which is NOT making responsible replies to honest questions.

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Possibly you replaced your normal.dot with another file?

What do you mean by some work, and some don't? What do you mean by work?

Version of Word?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

That was not a stupid question. It was a question that didn't give enough
information for anyone to answer, but the poster was asking about AutoText.
Your response was "go away."
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Ask a stupid question ...

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DaraLune

Mr. Kenyon,

Thanks for your help. I'll check out the links you provided. To answer
your questions, normal.dot is intact. I'm using Word 2003. And what happens
is that some of the entries on the dropdown list will autocomplete when I
type the first four letters, as they're supposed to, and some won't. Thanks
again.

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

What are the entry names that don't work? What are some names that do work?
With the ones that don't work, are there any other similar names, Word is
looking for unique names.

What happens if you type the name and press the F3 key?

Also, when posting in these newsgroups it helps to identify the version of
Word you are using.
--

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm
This may give you some help. Didn't see anything specific, though.

One other thing that occurs to me is that AutoText entries are sorted by
styles. It is possible that some of the AutoText entries that are not
responding were saved in a different style. This is not something I've
tested, just a guess. http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm
gives a little more on the interaction of styles and AutoText but is in the
context of the AutoText field.

When I name AutoText entries I try to have the first six letters of the name
be unique and to be something that I don't normally type. The default when
saving an entry is to give it a name that is the beginning of the text in
the entry. For example the name of the entry that contains "To Whom It May
Concern:" is the entire entry!

I have a number of WordArt images that are rubber stamp substitutes. These
are saved as AutoText entries and the names all begin with the letters RS so
rscopy will give me the COPY stamp, while typing the word copy will not. I
also have a custom toolbar with buttons and a menu for the different stamps.

Finally, if you are sharing your AutoText, you don't want it in normal.dot.
See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.

--

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of
them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Exactly. Another cretinous answer. You must be a lawyer.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
That was not a stupid question. It was a question that didn't give enough
information for anyone to answer, but the poster was asking about
AutoText. Your response was "go away."
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Ask a stupid question ...

"DaraLune" wrote in message
Why do some of my Autotext entries (custom ones) work and some of
them
don't?
Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Well, I guess you got me there.
:}
--

"Jezebel" wrote in message
Exactly. Another cretinous answer. You must be a lawyer.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
That was not a stupid question. It was a question that didn't give enough
information for anyone to answer, but the poster was asking about
AutoText. Your response was "go away."
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.