Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Default WORD BETA 2 - ONLINE HELP

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

You are using Beta 2 or B2TR? If Beta 2, I'd suggest to install the B2TR
patch. The online help issue might have to do with this.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Office menu, Word Options, Trust Center, Trust Center Settings, Privacy
Is the "Search Online help" setting activated?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Hi Patrick,

The answer is 'Yes'. The item 'Search MS Office for Online Help etc' is
checked.

What I don't understand is that when I click for online help I keep getting
the message that I'm not connected to the internet even though I am.

My default browser is BT Yahoo, is it possible that Word is not connecting
to this somehow?

Steve

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

If you open Internet Explorer, can you go online with it?
If not, configure IE so that you can go online.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Yes I can go online with IE. Nonetheless Word will not connect. It still
'thinks' that I'm offline.

Steve

:

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

I don't know what's going on. Have you rebooted lately?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

:

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Yes I have rebooted. I am connected to the internet with IE 7. When I try
to get the online connection via Word Help I just keep getting the message -
Not Connected. Frustrating!!

Steve

:

:

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

Check your filewall programs to see what it's setup to allow through.

Check the internet access settings for MS Office Word, MS Office Help Viewer and MS Office Online Content Viewer choices.

=============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Can someone out there help please?

I still haven't been able to cure the problem of not being able to access
online help through the Help Icon. I have tried:

1 clicking on the banner towards the top of the Help Page above the text
pane. I just get the message Disconnected

2 clicking on the button at the bottom right of the screen. This has a
tick beside 'Show content only from this computer'

3 I have gone through the Resources to ensure that I've clicked 'Go Online'

4 tried to change the program settings through Control PanelAdd or Remove
Programs and clicking on 'Run all from my computer'

It seems as though the online facility hasn't been enabled somehow. I don't
know how to do this and am reluctant to try to re-install MS Office from
scratch. Can anyone help please?

Steve

:

:

:

"Dragonman" wrote in message
:

I can't connect to Online Help. When I click on the Help Icon a small banner
comes up asking me to Click to get Online. When I click nothing happens.

I've had a look at Word in Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs/Microsoft
Office/Word and all the expanded tree options in Word indicate that the
online help is not available.

Does anyone know please how to get it enabled?

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Steve,

If you have selected the choice in Help to use content only from the local computer then it won't go online. That choice and the
one Patrick mentioned previously in the Word options do the same thing. If one is for 'this computer' only then the other one
follows.

You should be seeing the local help file for the PC with that setting turned on.

===============
"Dragonman" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Bob,

Brilliant. It's my Norton Firewall. I switched it off and everything
worked fine. My next problem is to try to work out where Norton is blocking
the access. I must confess that I do not find Norton easy to navigate around
and identify what it's doing.

Anyway many thanks.

Steve

"Dragonman" wrote in message ...
Yes I have rebooted. I am connected to the internet with IE 7. When I try
to get the online connection via Word Help I just keep getting the message -
Not Connected. Frustrating!!

Steve
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dragonman Dragonman is offline

Hello again Bob,

The issue was that I couldn't change the option from 'My Computer Only'. No
matter what I did the tick kept returning there.

Anyway the problem is cured now. With the benefit of your help I have
adjusted the Norton firewall to allow access to the MS Office Help Viewer and
can get online help. The problem appears to have been purely related to the
firewall.

Steve