Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

Default Word 2007 (and Excel 2007) open slowly

When opening a Word file via Windows Explorer or from a folder outside of
Word, Word seems to hang for appx 15 sec before opening the file. This
happens even when Word is already open, so it's not a problem with the
program initializing. However if i open the same file from within Word , it
opens without any delay.

I've disabled all plug-ins, so that's not the problem.

I get the same problem with excel (but not with Powerpoint)

How do I fix this? I like opening programs from the folders and not from
the program itself.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Are you sure all add-ins are disabled including any template based ones?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"br72" wrote in message
:

When opening a Word file via Windows Explorer or from a folder outside of
Word, Word seems to hang for appx 15 sec before opening the file. This
happens even when Word is already open, so it's not a problem with the
program initializing. However if i open the same file from within Word , it
opens without any delay.

I've disabled all plug-ins, so that's not the problem.

I get the same problem with excel (but not with Powerpoint)

How do I fix this? I like opening programs from the folders and not from
the program itself.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

Yes, all the ones over which I have control I have made inactive. That's all
of them in Excel and all but one--Person Name (Outlook e-mail recipients)--in
Word. (I also disabled all the plug-ins in Outlook when that was running
slowly, and that seemed to solve the problem). I'm still having the strange
problem with Word and Excel however.

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Are you sure all add-ins are disabled including any template based ones?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be something to
check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their shortcuts
in the Start Menu?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Are you sure all add-ins are disabled including any template based ones?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

1. Don't know about the virus scanner. I have Symantec Client Security that
came preloaded with my brand spanking new Lenovo Thinkpad T60 (Core duo2 2
ghz and 2 gb of RAM). That means I have Symantic Client Firewall and Norton
Antivirus 10).

2. It does take as long to open from the shortcuts (my docs or my recent
docs) from the Start Menu.

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be something to
check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their shortcuts
in the Start Menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

If you go into Start, run, and type "winword /a" does it take a long
tiem as well to open Word?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be something to
check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their shortcuts
in the Start Menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

No, but Word opens quickly. The problem I have is that opening documents
from outside of Word open slowly *even when Word is already open*

:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be something to
check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their shortcuts
in the Start Menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Are the documents on a network share or local? Are they large? Old or
new file format?
Does the same apply to Excel? Meaning, the application itself opens fast
it is just that loading documents takes long (even if done via File,
Open)?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be something to
check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their shortcuts
in the Start Menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Historically Norton AV has had an Office plug-in that doesn't do anything
useful, but slows down document access (or stops it completely).
Turn off the office plug-in.
With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run
e.g.
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Is your virus scanner integrated into Office? That might be
something to check.
Does it also take this long if you open the program via their
shortcuts in the Start Menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

Everything is local. It happens with both old and new files. To test this,
I created a new document the content of which was simply called "test doc"
and saved it in default word 2007 docx format. I have the same problem with
that.

But Patrick, from your question, I think you misunderstand my problem.
through explorer or from the start menu-recent documents). This happens
even when
Word is already open, so the problem is not Word initializing. Word,
already open, will sit there for 15 seconds or so. If I open the same doc
from within word, it opens instantly.

Yes, the same problem applies to Excel.

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Are the documents on a network share or local? Are they large? Old or
new file format?
Does the same apply to Excel? Meaning, the application itself opens fast
it is just that loading documents takes long (even if done via File,
Open)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

I have Symantec Antivirus 10.0, and I don't think that has an office plug-in
to disable as Norton Antivirus 200x does. I went into the File System
Auto-Protect options and selected to exclude from auto-protect .doc and .dot
files, but there was no change. Files still open very slowly outside of word
even if word is already open, but very quickly inside of word.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Historically Norton AV has had an Office plug-in that doesn't do anything
useful, but slows down document access (or stops it completely).
Turn off the office plug-in.
With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run
e.g.
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

What happens if you deactivate your virus scanner (I mean completely)
and try it then?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

Are the documents on a network share or local? Are they large? Old or
new file format?
Does the same apply to Excel? Meaning, the application itself opens fast
it is just that loading documents takes long (even if done via File,
Open)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
br72 br72 is offline

Ah, I think we're getting somewhere. When I disable the virus-scanner, the
problem goes away. So there appears to be some conflict between Symantec
Anti-virus 10.0 and some of the office programs.

The strange thing is that Symantec is getting hung up on the files only when
I open them outside of Word. I wonder why.

More importantly, I wonder how to make it stop other than disabling the
antivirus entirely. Any ideas?

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

What happens if you deactivate your virus scanner (I mean completely)
and try it then?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

My guess is that Symantec goes through some sort of different scanning
when you open the files externally than from within the program.
What is the exact version of Symantec 10 you are using?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
http://pschmid.net
***

: