Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shogarth

Default Hide ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

The short answer: don't open documents directly on the desktop.
Instead, store the documents in any other folder. If you want an icon
on the desktop, make a shortcut to the document's actual location.

Word has strict rules about temporary files, and some of the are
required to be in the same folder as the document itself
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632). If that folder is the
desktop, then the temp files will be there too. There's nothing you
can do about that.

If the document is in another folder, you won't have to look at the
temp files.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:32:01 -0700, shogarth

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jon Straub

Good advice.

I have a question about why the tmp files don't go away after the file is
closed.

I get a constant build up of ~wsomething.tmp and ~name.doc files when I use
word from
office xp. I save my files when I close word. I have auto save turned on
and allow fast save. I don't understand why the tmp files don't go away
after I close word.

and how do I change settings so these files don't keep piling up.

thanks

jon

wrote:

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Although turning off Fast Saves is an important step, I don't think it has
much to do with the temp files hanging around after the document is closed.
Here are some things that do have an effect:

- If you're working on a network share or mapped drive, or on a local hard
drive that has NTFS formatting, make sure you have Full Control, or at least
the Read, Write, and Modify rights for that folder. To check it, right-click
the folder, select Properties, and click the Security tab. If you don't have
Modify rights, Word won't be able to delete any files from that folder.

- If Word has crashed, it won't have had a chance to delete the temp files
from that session.

To deal with the leftovers, see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jon Straub

Yes,

thank you. but user is on desktop with no network, and the only user on
windows xp home with administrative rights.

and word has been shut down normally each time. I'll try the fast save
setting.

[...]

so
all may benefit.

wrote:

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

I also have this proble, but in my case I have always opened word documents
form the desktop (for the past 10 years). About a month ago, word started
saving all the .tmp files onto my desktop. It hasn't doen this in the past 10
years, so there must be more to it that just where the document is saved.

wrote:

How can I hide or relocate ~WRL*.tmp files cluttering Desktop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

I guess something in windows must have changed. The .tmp files all disappear
when I close the word documents. The problem is that I have a coupls open all
day, so have to keep closing to tidy up the desktop. I think I'll just move
them into folders and create a desktop shortcut instead. If I need to create
a document that I'm only going to need for a week or two, it seems easier to
just save to the desk top.

It's strange that my girlfrined seems to store most documents on her desktop
but doesn't get these problems.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers
Steve

"CyberTaz" wrote:

On 7/8/07 12:54 PM, in article
, "Steve"
wrote:

I also have this proble, but in my case I have always opened word documents
form the desktop (for the past 10 years). About a month ago, word started
saving all the .tmp files onto my desktop. It hasn't doen this in the past 10
years, so there must be more to it that just where the document is saved.

Well, yeah, it has - it's just that the temp files were either "hidden" or
were being deleted (as should be the case) when Word & docs were closed
properly. The change may very well be due to updates to Windows as well as
any number of other factors, but Jay is quite correct - saving directly to
the Desktop is not a recommended procedure. When you do you're bypassing the
filing system - so to speak - so things don't get policed up as they should.
That's one reason why the facility for creating FOLDERS to store files in
has been made as simple, straightforward & readily available as it has.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

It's strange that my girlfrined seems to store most documents on her
desktop but doesn't get these problems.

You can navigate to the "Desktop" folder in the Windows explorer (likely
somewhere under "C:\Documents and settings"), and then in the menu, toggle
off "Tools Folder options... View Show hidden files and folders".

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

Klaus

That's fixed the problem - thanks a million. I now vaguely remember changing
this, as I needed to see some hidden files. I obviously didn't make the
connection to the .tmp files showing.

I'm now very happy.

Thanks again.
Steve

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

It's strange that my girlfrined seems to store most documents on her
desktop but doesn't get these problems.

You can navigate to the "Desktop" folder in the Windows explorer (likely
somewhere under "C:\Documents and settings"), and then in the menu, toggle
off "Tools Folder options... View Show hidden files and folders".

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It has not 'fixed' the problem, merely hidden it. It is always better to
display hidden files so that you can see what junk you are accumulating. Are
you working with documents on the desktop? If not I would be more concerned
why these files are accumulating there rather than in the document or
Windows temporary folders.

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

It's strange that my girlfrined seems to store most documents on her
desktop but doesn't get these problems.

You can navigate to the "Desktop" folder in the Windows explorer
(likely somewhere under "C:\Documents and settings"), and then in
the menu, toggle off "Tools Folder options... View Show hidden
files and folders".

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

A couple of posts back in the thread, Steve said he was storing
documents on the desktop, so having the temp files there is normal. He
also indicated he's going to do what he should have done in the first
place, storing the documents elsewhere and putting shortcuts on the
desktop.

--
Jay