Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

Default Table of contents entry

Can anyone tell me how I can generate multiple tables of contents using TC
entries?
I am developing a student guide and the TOC is divided into Lessons and
topics. What I need to be able to do is have a separate table of contents
for each topic--it will list outline sheets, diagram sheets, etc. I know
how to apply the TC entries and have successfully generated one TOC, however,
I don't know how to distinguish the different TOCs. The TC dialog box allows
me to choose a table identifier and a level - but I don't know how to use
them. I have been reading and scratching my head for hours. Time to call in
the experts. I appreciate any help from anyone. Thanks
--
Stella Rivera
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Bookmarks. See the section "A partial table of contents" in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm. For more tips on TOCs,
see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

"Stella Rivera" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how I can generate multiple tables of contents using TC
entries?
I am developing a student guide and the TOC is divided into Lessons and
topics. What I need to be able to do is have a separate table of contents
for each topic--it will list outline sheets, diagram sheets, etc. I know
how to apply the TC entries and have successfully generated one TOC,

however,
I don't know how to distinguish the different TOCs. The TC dialog box

allows
me to choose a table identifier and a level - but I don't know how to use
them. I have been reading and scratching my head for hours. Time to call

in
the experts. I appreciate any help from anyone. Thanks
--
Stella Rivera

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

I'm really confused now. The format I am using does not include headings or
conventional outline numbering (no numbering). I used TOC entries because it
was the only way I could find to mark text and generate a TOC. Is it
possible to do what I need to using the TOC entries? I don't see how I can
generate a partical TOC without headings. Appeciate any help.
--
Stella Rivera

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The TOC field can accept bookmarks regardless of whether it is based on
headings or on TC fields. You just bookmark the text you want included in
the TOC and add the \b switch referencing the bookmark.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Bookmarks. See the section "A partial table of contents" in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm. For more tips on

TOCs,
see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stella Rivera" wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

Thank you Suzanne. I did the tutorial on TOCs for extra help. I carefully
followed the instructions, everything worked fine until I hit F9 to update
the field after I put in the b switch. Nothing happened when I hit F9--and I
didn't get my second TOC. I am growing weary and trying to figure this out
is exhausting.
--
Stella Rivera

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you mark the text to be included with a bookmark before creating the
TOC? And was the TOC field properly set up to include either
headings/outline levels or TC fields, depending on which you had used to
create the entries?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Windancer Windancer is offline

I figured it out. Hurrah for me. I needed to go to "Options" and click on
"Table Entry Fields. My Index doesn't have a number but it looks fine at the
bottom of the Table of Contents.

--
Nancy

"Stella Rivera" wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can generate multiple tables of contents using TC
entries?
I am developing a student guide and the TOC is divided into Lessons and
topics. What I need to be able to do is have a separate table of contents
for each topic--it will list outline sheets, diagram sheets, etc. I know
how to apply the TC entries and have successfully generated one TOC, however,
I don't know how to distinguish the different TOCs. The TC dialog box allows
me to choose a table identifier and a level - but I don't know how to use
them. I have been reading and scratching my head for hours. Time to call in
the experts. I appreciate any help from anyone. Thanks
--
Stella Rivera

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

Suzanne,
I have gone to your website (plus a couple of other places) and to the best
of my knowledge followed the instructions but I can't make it work. Below is
one of the TOCs I need, there will be one for each Lesson. I tried using
bookmarks and the " b" switch. Is there anyway you can show me what I need
to do? Maybe that would help me see what I am doing wrong. I have been
working this issue for days and I'm really frustrated. I appreciate all your
help and hopefully I can fix this today.

Unit 1: ONETESS OPERATION

Lesson 1: INTRODUCTION AND DESCRIPTION OF THE ONETESS TRAINING SYSTEM

Topic 1-1-1 OneTESS Functional Description

Outline Sheet 1-1-1-1 - OPERATOR MAINTENANCE (OneTESS Functional Description)

Assignment Sheet 1-1-1-1 - OPERATOR MAINTENANCE (OneTESS Functional
Description)

Information Sheet 1-1-1-1 - OPERATOR MAINTENANCE (OneTESS Functional
Description)

--
Stella Rivera

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Each one of the headings you want to include in your TOC must use a heading
style or a style with an outline level, or you must have inserted table
entry (TC fields). That will be true for any TOC. To create the partial TOC,
you must select the entire portion you want included in the TOC (beginning
with the first heading and including at least the last, though I'd tend to
include the body text under it as well, just for consistency. When you have
selected this text, you use Insert | Bookmark to give this selection a name,
such as Unit1 or Unit_1. You then reference that bookmark after the \b
switch in the TOC.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

I highlighted the text I wanted in the TOC, inserted a bookmark, named it
unit1. I then put the cursor where I wanted to insert the TOC. I hit ALT
F9, then CTRL F9 and typed "TOC\b unit1". I hit F9 to update the field,
then Alt F9. My other TOC reappeared but the new one didnt. What the heck
am I doing wrong? Am I forgetting to hit another key(s) to insert the TOC?
I cant insert it like a regular TOC because I dont have the option to use
bookmarks like I do table entry fields. I am starting to feel like a real
DOOFUS!!! HELP!!!

--
Stella Rivera

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of inserting the TOC field manually, why don't you work through
Insert | Reference | Index and Tables, which will allow you to select the
options you want in the TOC? You'll still have to insert the bookmark in the
TOC field manually, but the dialog will take care of the other details.
After the TOC is entered, then you can Alt+F9 to display the field code and
edit it manually.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Bookmarks. See the section "A partial table of contents" in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm. For

more
tips
on
TOCs,
see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stella Rivera"

wrote
in
message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stella Rivera Stella Rivera is offline

Thanks Suzanne. I found a way to do it. Its not exactly what I want but it
will do. Did you look at the steps I followed (in my previous post)? Was I
doing it correctly? I would like to know for future reference should I
decide to use the bookmark method. Thanks again.
--
Stella Rivera

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are inserting the TOC field manually, you must include a switch that
tells Word what to pick up: styles or TC fields or outline levels. For
example: The field { TOC \o "1-3" \b "test" } instructs Word to look for
paragraphs formatted with styles whose outline levels are set to 1, 2, or 3
(this applies to the built-in headings, for example) within the bookmark
named "test." For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCSwitches.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't think of anything to add to my previous answers. It should work
provided you have inserted the bookmark correctly. But inserting the TOC
using the dialog (and then editing it by hand) is less prone to error.