Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Tony is offline

Default Visual Basic Macro message- how to get ridd of it.

Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this project are
disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation of the host
application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did load
some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't program in VB.
Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone wrong to annoy me
evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Tony is offline

Hi Jay - I used the Word's wizard. Still not fixed. Under "Trouble shoot
macro warnings" Macro Warnings/Built in wizards templates or custom commands
no longer work or I get a message that macros are disabled."

You run the Office Set up, then "Features to install" screen, "Office Shared
Features" then click into the "Visual Basic for Applications" - choose "Run
from My Computer".

Did the above - no change. Only have problems when opening Word, other
Office 2002 applications working OK.

Any further ideas or could you narrow the options you kindly offered to me?
I do appreciate your reply...
Regards Tony

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The advice in the Word Help topics, while technically correct, treat only
the _least_ likely causes of the problem, not the _most_ likely ones. It's
quite unusual (at least, outside of corporate setups) to have an Office
installation that doesn't include VBA, so I'm not surprised that rerunning
the installation didn't fix anything.

That's why I pointed you to the FAQ article on the MVP site, which does
discuss the procedure that's most likely to work. Specifically, look at the
section of the article titled "If you get an error message as soon as Word
opens, but it doesn't crash (e.g. "Compile Error in Hidden Module") ..." It
discusses removing any templates from the Startup folder [the footnote of
the article tells you where to find that folder].

Another thing to check on: Go to Tools Macro Security and set the
security level to Medium. Now, if a macro tries to run when you start Word,
you should get a popup with Disable and Enable buttons. If you're lucky, it
will even tell you the name of the file that contains the macro. Find that
file and nuke it. [Note: It isn't recommended to set the security level to
Low. That will stop the messages by allowing all macros to run, but if the
macro is a virus, then you're in big trouble and you won't even know it.]

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Tony is offline

Thanks so much Jay. Your post gave me the solution (after I wrote the post
reply seeking more info - embarressed). "How to find if any Word Add-ins
have been installed" provided the clues looking for any Global Templates in
Word.

Go to Tools =="Templates and Add-ins" in Word and found a DOT file from an
accounting package.

Then to delete went to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup or
equivelent and using the file search part in XP, located the offending DOT
file and deleted it.

I had trouble locating contents of the Start Up Folder. Could see the Start
Up folder but nothing in it - that threw me off the track for a bit. But used
the C:\Progagram....path as above and got there in the end.

The annoying message warning has gone - you helped me get there!!!

Thanks so much.

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ejlowe ejlowe is offline

I have a similar problem. I open many Word documents from colleagues that
have macros, but I would like to permanently disable all macros and avoid the
warning message. Do you know of a way to do this? Naturally I tried going
into tools and changing macro security, but this only works in the doc I have
open.
Eric

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ejlowe ejlowe is offline

No, that only works for the document you are in, not documents you open from
other people.
Thanks though!
Eric

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ejlowe ejlowe is offline

Try it! I can't explain why it doesn't work. I just know that no matter how
many times I do it, the next doc I try to open is back at "Low" (and so the
message appears again).
Eric

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help
documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I
did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it
permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Do you happen to have any other Option settings that won't "stick"? If so,
there may be an add-in or virus app that's preventing the change.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/31/07 1:08 PM, in article
, "ejlowe"

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help
documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I
did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it
permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you closing Word between documents? If so, this suggests that your
settings aren't being saved. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions on
rebuilding the Word Data key if that's the issue. If you're in a corporate
environment, it may be that IT controls are in force (but it would be lunacy
to set Macro Security to Low for all users).

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help
documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I
did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has
gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it
permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ejlowe ejlowe is offline

It does in fact appear to be that the setting is not being saved when I close
Word. I don't have access to my registry though.
Eric

Tony wrote:
Opening Word - the following window pops up "The macros in this
project are disabled. Please refer to the online Help
documentation
of the host application to determine how to enable macros."

How to make this message go away and stop appearing? Ages ago I
did
load some Visual Basic menu items to see what they did. I can't
program in VB. Have no idea. Just a silly experiment that has
gone
wrong to annoy me evertime I run Word.

Please help how to turn this thing off or get rid of it
permanently.
Regards Tony

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The fact that you don't have access to the Registry suggests that your
system is indeed "locked down" by IT. You might want to point out to the
network admin that running at Low macro security is risky.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the

Visual Basic text box Marty Mailmerge 1 September 7th 06 09:57 AM
Visual Basic Macro MISSA New Users 3 August 24th 06 02:30 PM
Word 2000 error message Visual Basic Phil F Microsoft Word Help 1 July 19th 06 10:11 PM
what is microsoft visual basic vanman New Users 4 August 13th 05 12:22 AM
Visual Basic and VBA Forum Throne Software Mailmerge 0 July 9th 05 04:23 AM