Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Default Weird movement of floating menus

Hi all,

Has anyone else seen this behaviour before?

If you place a floating menu next to a table and select cells above
that menu and drag downwards, I find the floating menu move down the
page and wraps back to the top.

Cheers,

Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Fauxn,

Has anyone else seen this behaviour before?

If you place a floating menu next to a table and select cells above
that menu and drag downwards, I find the floating menu move down the
page and wraps back to the top.

Toolbars should move to avoid the current selection, so that the don't
block the area you're trying to work in/see.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Sound logical, but if the table is small and on the left and the
toolbars/floats are on the right outside the table, this behavior is a
little distracting and annoying if you've placed them within easy reach
and are using then a lot. Is there anyway to lock the toolbars/floats
at a set position to prevent this behavior, temporarily?

Cheers
Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Fauxn,

Sound logical, but if the table is small and on the left and the
toolbars/floats are on the right outside the table, this behavior is a
little distracting and annoying if you've placed them within easy reach
and are using then a lot. Is there anyway to lock the toolbars/floats
at a set position to prevent this behavior, temporarily?

I quite agree with you. Often, I'll dock the toolbar on one of the window
edges.

It is possible to accomplish what you ask using a macro to "lock" the
toolbar position:

Sub ToolbarNoMove()
CommandBars("Caption Name Here").Protection = msoBarNoMove
End Sub

Sub ToolbarRelease()
CommandBars("Forms").Protection = msoBarNoProtection
End Sub

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the tip, but not being a macro person I'm not sure how to
impliment it and where to place the macro for easy access.

Cheers
Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Noel,

not being a macro person I'm not sure how to
impliment it and where to place the macro for easy access.

At word.mvps.org you should find an article that describes
how to use macros people give you in the newsgroup. Please
see that for detailed instructions. Watch out for the macros
breaking over lines. If you see more than three lines /
macro, then the middle line has broken over and should be
"repaired".

In order to have the macro "always at hand" it should go
into your Normal.dot template OR into another template that
you copy to your STARTUP folder so that Word loads it
automatically as a global template Addin. In order to find
out where your Startup folder is, check in
Tools/Options/File locations.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun
8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Thansk for your help.

Cheers
Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Hi Cindy,

I created the macros and added them to the the table toolbar. When i
click on the ToolbarNoMove macro I get the following error:
Run Time Error: 5
Invalid procedure call or argument

I'm using Word 2002

Any idea's?

Cheers
Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Noel,

I created the macros and added them to the the table toolbar. When i
click on the ToolbarNoMove macro I get the following error:
Run Time Error: 5
Invalid procedure call or argument

I'm using Word 2002

Did you change the captions to match the captions of the toolbars
you're trying to affect? I used "dummy names" in my code samples (not
knowing which toolbar you wanted to "freeze").

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Ahh, no I didn't! Is there away to make this dynamic?

Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Changed the "'s to contain the name of the toolbar and it works a
treat.

Many thanks

Cindy M -WordMVP-

.com
VA.0000b954.007ac1f6@speedy
.com
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Noel

Changed the "'s to contain the name of the toolbar and it works a
treat.

Glad we finally got it all straightened out :-) Enjoy!

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fauxn

Sorry quick question:

If I want this present on all toolbars, do I need to add the
title/header to all instances of the macros?

Cheers
Noel

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Noel,

If I want this present on all toolbars, do I need to add the
title/header to all instances of the macros?

You mean, if you want a button to run this macro from all
toolbars? Yes, you'd need to drag it from
Tools/Customize/Commands to each toolbar.

Or, you could use a macro to make the change. Here's a bit of
sample code that could do that (but note that I'm not testing
it myself, because I don't have a button I want to add to
every toolbar). However, you may find it adds the command in
unexpected places...

So, before starting Word, make a copy of your Normal.dot
template and put it somewhere safe. Then if you don't like the
result you can always revert back to your original state
without too much pain :-)

Remember to check the things in "quotes" and change them to
match your system.

Sub AddButtonToAllBars()
Dim cBar as Office.CommandBar
Dim cButton as Office.CommandBarButton

CustomizationContext = NormalTemplate
For each cb in Application.CommandBars
Set cButton = cBar.Controls.Add(msoControlButton)
cButton.OnAction = "Macro name"
cButton.Caption = "Lock toolbar"
Next