Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

Default Punctuation in Word 2003

When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the apostrophes in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

I'm betting it's because you are using curly quotation marks and the website
wants plain vanilla ones.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

The problem is not with quotation marks - it's only with apostrophes. Any
other suggestions would be appreciated.

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Same idea - it's curly and not straight.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the
apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen Helen is offline

Thank you for your response JoAnn. I only have one apostrophe on my keyboard
so I don't know what else I can use. If you can provide further assistance,
I would appreciate it.

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the
apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Since it's an existing document, delete out the marks and replace them with
a new one. (It's a setting in Word to automatically replace them with
curlies but this computer uses 2007 so the setting may not be the same as
yours.)

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the
apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from
happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Helen,

In Word 2003 the option that controls whether Word automatically replaces
straight apostrophes (and quotation marks) with curly ones is under
Tools/AutoCorrect options/AutoFormat as you type/Replace as you
type/"Straight quotes" with "smart quotes"

What you can do to "clean" a document of the curlies is to turn that option
off temporarily, do a find and replace, and then turn the option on again.
(You need to turn the option off before you do the replacement otherwise Word
will change the straight versions back to curlies as soon as the replacements
are done.)

To find and replace the curly apostrophes, bring up the Find and Replace
dialog and in the Find what box type [^0145^0146] and in the Replace with box
type ^039. Tick the Use wildcards box before clicking Replace or Replace all.

To replace curly (double) quotes you can do a find for [^0147^0148] and
replace with ^034.

Regards.

Ed

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the
apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Suzanne. It never occurred to me that that would work (to my mind it seems
somehow a little bit warped.) But it does! So thanks.

Regards.

Ed

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the
apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from

happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The trick is that AutoFormat As You Type is fired by the replacement, so you
get a straight or curly apostrophe/quote depending on the setting of that
option in AutoFormat As You type.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You don't need to enter the numbers: just type " or ' in both boxes and

Word
will take care of the appropriate replacement.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Helen" wrote in message
When I type a document in and copy/paste it to a website, the
apostrophes
in
my document appear as small boxes. How can I stop this from

happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Suzanne,

I suppose it's maybe just a question of viewpoint as to whether the
behaviour is a little warped or not. If you think of the curly and straight
variants as distinct entities then, on the face of it, it seems a little odd
that you can find one of them (the curly) by searching for the other (the
straight), but if you think of them as entities that Word "regards" as (for
some purposes) the same thing then it's not so odd.

Still, given that it works, it's not a problem.

Thanks for the information.

Regards.

Ed