Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default find all Xrefs

Is there a secret wild card character for "Cross-Reference"? (It's not
in the list of Special things in the Find-Replace dialog. As you know
if you've been following my saga, I will have hundreds of cross-
references in the form "(123)a" that will have to be changed to
"(123a)" at the last moment after they've been decoupled from their
hyperlinks; but there are a few like "(123)a-b" that will have to
change to "(123a-b)".

I can do the former by simply Find-Replacing )a , )b , )c , and )d
with a) , b) , c) , and d) , but there are likely to be other examples
of )- here and there, so I can't just search for them automatically.

And Jay just mentioned a super-secret wild card " \1 " that refers to
unspecified text found by Find! Is that correct? Backslash and not
caret? And howcome I've never found this mentioned anywhere? It could
have been quite useful over the years!

Happy New Year, y'all (California and Hawaii, you'll have yours soon).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Cross references to numbered items use ref fields in a manner similar to the
following, using an internally generated bookmark eg { REF _Ref186943993 \r
\h }

While you can run the replace function on displayed fields, I don't see any
easy way of modifying that construction to give the correct result?

You mentioned that you were detaching the hyperlink, which does pose a way
forward. If you convert all the fields to text (CTRL+A then CTRL+SHIFT+F9)
you can use replace normally on the resulting text. eg to change
(\([0-9]{1,3})(\))([a-z])
\1\3\2

if there are a-bs etc to find then do those first
(\([0-9]{1,3})(\))([a-z]-[b-z])
\1\3\2

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you -- there's information there that doesn't seem to be
available anywhere else. _But_ -- it's Word2000-oriented. Is it all
still valid in Word2003? (I don't even ask about 2007, which from the
queries here doesn't appear to be at all an improvement.)

If References are Fields, howcome searching ^d doesn't find them?

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The page on my web site is relevant to all versions, including 2007?
^d REF will find REF fields, but how is that going to help you, if you don't
know the cross reference code to replace it with? ^d does not work in a
wildcard search.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't want to replace anything, I just want to be able to go back
and see how I dealt with particular kinds of x-refs many pages earlier
-- that is, I just want to be able to find them without scrolling
through dozens of pages and maybe missing them because there's nothing
distinctive about them on the screen.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

soon).-- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, displaying field codes and using Find to search for ^d REF
should do the trick. Or if you set field shading temporarily to "Always,"
they'll be more obvious as you scan visually.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You said originally that you wanted to change the format of the numbering?
If you don't want to do that, then ^d REF will find all the cross reference
fields.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you've come up with a way to get a "Paragraph number with full
context" to change the punctuation of the numbers, then the changning
of the format can only be done at the very end of editing, after all
possible updates that could change numbers, and the hyperlinks are
detached.

Level 2 reads a.

Level 1 reads (22)

and the cross reference reads (22)a

but it needs to end up (22a)

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Replace will only work on fields when the field codes are showing and you
need to include REF or it will access *all* fields in your document, which
may not be desirable.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In whch thread? or, do you have a message-ID?

grammatim wrote:
[...]

years!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I've just come back from Chicago and have lost the thread of the
thread, as it were. The whole concept of referring to parts of a
wildcard search with \1 \2 \3 etc. was totally new to me, so once I
figure out the syntax of your formulas, I'll probably find them very
helpful.