Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob B Rob B is offline

Default RE-order page sequence

I have an 84 page document which consists of a two page sequence (
description & work required on one page, location details on the following
page).

I have done a TOC, page nos & ordered the document according to *last
week's* requirements. Things have changed this week & the whole doc needs to
be reordered. I have absolutely no intention of copying & pasting so much
becasue I need to preserve all the formatting for each page. So how can I
move each set of two pages around the document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that you have been using the built-in headings, you can move the
headings (including their subordinate text) in Outline view. If not, I'm
afraid you will have to resort to cut and paste.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob B" wrote in message
I have an 84 page document which consists of a two page sequence (
description & work required on one page, location details on the following
page).

I have done a TOC, page nos & ordered the document according to *last
week's* requirements. Things have changed this week & the whole doc needs
be reordered. I have absolutely no intention of copying & pasting so much
becasue I need to preserve all the formatting for each page. So how can I
move each set of two pages around the document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob B Rob B is offline

"Assuming that you have been using the built-in headings"

The headings are on the start of each two-page sequence.

Now, whilst waiting for a reply, have looked at section vs page break
options- would this be a solution?

Basically, would using this lock the actual content of each page, leaving
me with the ability to move whole pages around..?

Cheers now, Rob.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Rob B" wrote in message
"Assuming that you have been using the built-in headings"

The headings are on the start of each two-page sequence.

Switch to Outline view, and collapse the Outline choose to show level 1 (or
level 2, if that's more appropriate). Now, you can move a selected heading
up or down in text, for example by pressing Alt+Shift+Up arrow (or
Alt+Shift+Down arrow), and the subordinate text will follow. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingOLView.htm.

Now, whilst waiting for a reply, have looked at section vs page break
options- would this be a solution?

Basically, would using this lock the actual content of each page, leaving
me with the ability to move whole pages around..?

No, pages and sections are not "movable" items in Word. Only page layout
software can do that. The best you can do is what I've suggested above, that
is, you can move appropriately structured *contents* of a page, not the
actual pages.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob B Rob B is offline

...."and the subordinate text will follow"

Unfortunately that did not work- the location images completely screwed up.

So to be systematic about this ( the deadline is 6pm tonight) am cutting
each 2 page section into a new doc with the intention or inserting each of
these new files into a new master doc.

Now, to learn something from this, should I try to use the Sub-document
outline view for the new master doc?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Rob B" wrote in message
..."and the subordinate text will follow"

Unfortunately that did not work- the location images completely screwed
up.

With pictures things get more complicated, because each picture moves with
the text paragraph to which it is *anchored* (see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/drwgrphcs/anchors.htm). Cut and paste instead
(though it will be time-consuming).

So to be systematic about this ( the deadline is 6pm tonight) am cutting
each 2 page section into a new doc with the intention or inserting each of
these new files into a new master doc.

Now, to learn something from this, should I try to use the Sub-document
outline view for the new master doc?

The master document feature will not help in any way; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob B Rob B is offline

Ok, many thnaks for the explanations, Stephan.

also have been exploring the site where you've linked many answers- it is so
much more straightforward than the usual.

Main conclusion is that I should try to expand my knowledge monthly as
opposed to just doing the usual things!

Cheers now, ROb.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jan 21, 9:01*am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
"Rob B" wrote in message

..."and the subordinate text will follow"

Unfortunately that did not work- the location images completely screwed
up.

With pictures things get more complicated, because each picture moves with
the text paragraph to which it is *anchored* (seehttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/drwgrphcs/anchors.htm). Cut and paste instead
(though it will be time-consuming).

So to be systematic about this ( the deadline is 6pm tonight) am cutting
each 2 page section into a new doc with the intention or inserting each of
these new files into a new master doc.

Now, to learn something from this, should I try to use the Sub-document
outline view for the new master doc?

The master document feature will not help in any way; seehttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm.

Alas, the document referenced at the top of that one, Steve Hudson on
how to use master documents safely, is no longer at the link provided.
Does it exist somewhere?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks ... it's presented as a chapter of his book-in-progress on
working with very advanced features of Word -- but it's dated April
2007. I suppose he's had to go back and rewrite everything he'd
already done.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome--and thank you for the feedback.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rob B" wrote in message
Ok, many thnaks for the explanations, Stephan.

also have been exploring the site where you've linked many answers- it is
so
much more straightforward than the usual.

Main conclusion is that I should try to expand my knowledge monthly as
opposed to just doing the usual things!

Cheers now, ROb.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Two "unfortunately"s: It's dated 2002, so may not even apply to
Word2003; and it's very poorly written (quite aside from the cross
references to other chapters, which may or may not have been written/
posted -- amazon lists no books by (Steve) Hudson about Word), with
mentions of doing steps presented later than the current one, etc.

And the notion of deleting all section breaks is absurd -- sometimes,
different column arrangements are needed within a document!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"grammatim" wrote in message
Two "unfortunately"s: It's dated 2002, so may not even apply to
Word2003; and it's very poorly written (quite aside from the cross
references to other chapters, which may or may not have been written/
posted -- amazon lists no books by (Steve) Hudson about Word), with
mentions of doing steps presented later than the current one, etc.

And the notion of deleting all section breaks is absurd -- sometimes,
different column arrangements are needed within a document!

That might be the price to pay if you are planning to use master documents.

If you cannot keep all of your text as a single file, INCLUDETEXT can be
used, or RD fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jan 23, 5:21*am, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
"grammatim" wrote in message

Two "unfortunately"s: It's dated 2002, so may not even apply to
Word2003; and it's very poorly written (quite aside from the cross
references to other chapters, which may or may not have been written/
posted -- amazon lists no books by (Steve) Hudson about Word), with
mentions of doing steps presented later than the current one, etc.
And the notion of deleting all section breaks is absurd -- sometimes,
different column arrangements are needed within a document!

That might be the price to pay if you are planning to use master documents..

If you cannot keep all of your text as a single file, INCLUDETEXT can be
used, or RD fields.

Another area where FrameMaker is immeasurably superior.