Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wizzard Of Oz

Default Nostalgia for the old UI

Can we please have an option to go back to the classic UI that we all know
and love/hate in Office 2007. I am using the Beta and I cannot find anything,
and it is frustrating enough that I dont want to upgrade.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....word.newusers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is no provision for a "classic" UI, and we have been assured that this
is because there is really no way to implement it. For help in finding
things in the new UI, there is a Command Reference; see
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archiv...30/610907.aspx

"Wizzard Of Oz" Wizzard Of wrote in message
Can we please have an option to go back to the classic UI that we all know
and love/hate in Office 2007. I am using the Beta and I cannot find

anything,
and it is frustrating enough that I dont want to upgrade.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....word.newusers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

So don't upgrade. No one is twisting your arms or stealing your money. I
don't like it (translation: hate it) either but the "old way" is history and
their is no classic view. That means I either live with Office 2003 forever
or I adapt. I still haven't decided which option I'm going with yet.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Wizzard Of Oz" Wizzard Of wrote in message
Can we please have an option to go back to the classic UI that we all know
and love/hate in Office 2007. I am using the Beta and I cannot find
anything,
and it is frustrating enough that I dont want to upgrade.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....word.newusers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:35:59 -0400 from JoAnn Paules [MVP]
:
So don't upgrade. No one is twisting your arms or stealing your money. I
don't like it (translation: hate it) either but the "old way" is history and
their is no classic view. That means I either live with Office 2003 forever
or I adapt. I still haven't decided which option I'm going with yet.

I am sorely tempted to go back to Office 97.

At least it had a usable help system, and fewer of the annoying
"helpful" features that I have to spend time learning to turn off.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I can only go back to Office 2000 - but I do genuinely like 2003.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:35:59 -0400 from JoAnn Paules [MVP]
:
So don't upgrade. No one is twisting your arms or stealing your money. I
don't like it (translation: hate it) either but the "old way" is history
and
their is no classic view. That means I either live with Office 2003
forever
or I adapt. I still haven't decided which option I'm going with yet.

I am sorely tempted to go back to Office 97.

At least it had a usable help system, and fewer of the annoying
"helpful" features that I have to spend time learning to turn off.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
++++Jack++++

former co-worker said "if it does what you want don't upgrade"...I use
office 97 pro, does what I want and I'm happy..Bill Gates going to have to
get his next BILLION from someone else

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
I can only go back to Office 2000 - but I do genuinely like 2003.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:35:59 -0400 from JoAnn Paules [MVP]
:
So don't upgrade. No one is twisting your arms or stealing your money.

don't like it (translation: hate it) either but the "old way" is

history
and
their is no classic view. That means I either live with Office 2003
forever
or I adapt. I still haven't decided which option I'm going with yet.

I am sorely tempted to go back to Office 97.

At least it had a usable help system, and fewer of the annoying
"helpful" features that I have to spend time learning to turn off.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology advances to the
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time to upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"++++Jack++++" wrote in message
ink.net...
former co-worker said "if it does what you want don't upgrade"...I use
office 97 pro, does what I want and I'm happy..Bill Gates going to have to
get his next BILLION from someone else

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
I can only go back to Office 2000 - but I do genuinely like 2003.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...
Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:35:59 -0400 from JoAnn Paules [MVP]
:
So don't upgrade. No one is twisting your arms or stealing your money.

don't like it (translation: hate it) either but the "old way" is

history
and
their is no classic view. That means I either live with Office 2003
forever
or I adapt. I still haven't decided which option I'm going with yet.

I am sorely tempted to go back to Office 97.

At least it had a usable help system, and fewer of the annoying
"helpful" features that I have to spend time learning to turn off.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
David

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:35:57 -0400, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology advances to the
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time to upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix it!" DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 & 2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need to do.

David
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Then you don't upgrade. :-)

And I liked DOS programs. Life was simpler then. sigh

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology advances to the
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time to
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix it!" DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 & 2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need to do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand coordination to
play.

so
all may benefit.

So did I

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology advances to
the
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time to
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix it!" DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 & 2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need to do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thanks for the link. I wonder if I can remember how to play Planetfall after
all these years. g

"ChrisM" wrote in message

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand coordination to
play.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

So did I

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology advances

point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time to
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix it!"

DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 & 2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need to

do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

that should be ...thank...

"ChrisM" wrote in message
hehe, let's see if the number of posts from you goes down now...

;-)

Chris.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Thanks for the link. I wonder if I can remember how to play Planetfall
after
all these years. g

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ChrisM" wrote in message

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost
interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand coordination
play.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

So did I

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology
advances
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix
it!"
DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 &
2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need to
do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ChrisM ChrisM is offline

Ahhh, but for how much longer, now that she's going to be playing
'Planetfall'... and 'Zork'... and 'Hitchhikers'...
and.........

;-D

Chris.

"ChrisM" wrote in message

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost
interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand coordination
play.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

So did I

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology
advances
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix
it!"
DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 &
2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need to
do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Actually, I think I waste enough time working two sudoku puzzles a day (one
from our local paper and the Newsweek one online); I really don't have time
for games. g

"ChrisM" wrote in message

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost
interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand

coordination
play.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
So did I

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in

message
.. .

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology
advances
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's time
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix
it!"
DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 &
2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need

do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Puzzles don't count as games. They are tools to maintain your neural
synapses. (At least that's the story I'm sticking with.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"ChrisM" wrote in message

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost
interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand

coordination
play.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
So did I

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in

message
.. .

wrote:

I agree with your co-worker up to a point. When technology
advances
point where the program no longer functions properly, it's
time
upgrade.
For example, DOS-based programs.

The best advice I ever had was, "If it ai't broke...don't fix
it!"
DOS
based? Well that did need to be fixed. I have copies of 2000 &
2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever need

do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, although the InfoCom games required as much
ratiocination and logic as any puzzle.

"ChrisM" wrote in message

http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/

:-D

ChrisM.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I was addicted to the old InfoCom text adventure games. I lost
interest
when
games acquired graphics and required speed and eye-hand

coordination
play.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
So did I

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in

message
.. .

&
2003,
never use them., Even 97 will do much more than I'll ever

need
do.

David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
TF TF is offline

"Su Doku is a device for making intelligent people think they are not
wasting their time". Professor Joad

(Quote from The Times - Saturday)

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
.. .
: Puzzles don't count as games. They are tools to maintain your neural
: synapses. (At least that's the story I'm sticking with.)
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
:
:
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: Actually, I think I waste enough time working two sudoku puzzles a day
: (one
: from our local paper and the Newsweek one online); I really don't have
: time
: for games. g
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup
: so
: all may benefit.
:
: ...
: wrote in message ...
: Not possible. She's on here 24 hours (or should it be 25) than
: goodness!
:
: "ChrisM" wrote in message
: ...
: hehe, let's see if the number of posts from you goes down now...
:
: ;-)
:
: Chris.
:
: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: ...
: Thanks for the link. I wonder if I can remember how to play
: Planetfall
: after
: all these years. g
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
: newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "ChrisM" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]
: wrote in message
: ...
: So did I
:
: "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in
: message
: .. .
: Then you don't upgrade. :-)
:
: And I liked DOS programs. Life was simpler then. sigh
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
: MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
:
:
:
: ...
: wrote:
:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message

....ratiocination...

Crikey! Not in my dictionaries.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I have to agree with that. :-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
[...]

: ...
: wrote in message
: Not possible. She's on here 24 hours (or should it be 25) than
: goodness!
:
: "ChrisM" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "ChrisM" wrote in message
: ...
:
[...]
: wrote in message
: ...
: So did I
:
: "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in
: message
: .. .
: Then you don't upgrade. :-)
:
: And I liked DOS programs. Life was simpler then. sigh
:
: --
:
: JoAnn Paules
[...]