HT

Default Cascading paragraphs

Word2003
WindowsXP

This is what a cascading paragraph looks like.

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxx

I need to create this because it will be on the 1st page of an Offering
Statement.

Thank you.

Luc

HT,
Draw two lines with the line tool on the Drawing toolbar. First from top
left to middle bottom, second from top right to middle bottom.
Select the left line, rightclick it, choose Format AutoShape, choose third
tab from the left, click on the contour icon, now click on advanced, choose
only to the right in the section for wrapping text. Now do the same with the
line on the right, but set this on to wrap text only to the left of the
line.
To make the lines disappear in the same menu choose colors and lines tab and
change the color to white.
Luc
"HT" schreef in bericht
Word2003
WindowsXP

This is what a cascading paragraph looks like.

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxx

I need to create this because it will be on the 1st page of an Offering
Statement.

Thank you.

PopS

Hi Luc,

I ass-u-me you're talking about 2003, right? I have 2002 and
there is no "countour" under the Format AutoShape menues,
therefore it doesn't work as you stated, but:

it DOES work in 2002 if you instead select the left line and
then use Set AutoShape Defaults. There is a caveat or two: Too
long a sentence or paragraph (several lines) will jump everything
outside of the shape and push it to the next page on you.
Anything that can't be fit in the space provided by the triangle
"jumps" outside the triangle and in the process seems to take
everything else with it.
I only spent a few seconds with it, so it's probably easy to
anchor the triangle to keep it from blowing away in the winds of
the ether. I suspect there's more to learn about it - and I'm
glad to discover something I never thought about before.

That said, NEAT! I never thought about doing it that way and
just used Centering and the Enter key before this.

Good tip!

Pops

"Luc" wrote in message
: HT,
: Draw two lines with the line tool on the Drawing toolbar. First
from top
: left to middle bottom, second from top right to middle bottom.
: Select the left line, rightclick it, choose Format AutoShape,
choose third
: tab from the left, click on the contour icon, now click on
advanced, choose
: only to the right in the section for wrapping text. Now do the
same with the
: line on the right, but set this on to wrap text only to the
left of the
: line.
: To make the lines disappear in the same menu choose colors and
lines tab and
: change the color to white.
: Luc
: "HT" schreef in bericht
: ...
: Word2003
: WindowsXP
:
: This is what a cascading paragraph looks like.
:
: xxxxxxxxx
: xxxxxxxx
: xxxxxx
: xxx
: x
:
: I need to create this because it will be on the 1st page of
an Offering
: Statement.
:
: Thank you.
:
:
:
:

Luc

PopS,
Sorry for the wrong wording, I am translating best I can since I use the
Dutch version. The said "contour" icon is the third from the left in the
mentioned tab.
I tested again here, using the method I described, and nothing jumps around
even with long sentences or paragraphs. It's stays solid as a rock.
Luc

"PopS" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Robbins

In the English version, the button is "Tight" There is no difference
between 2002 and 2003 in this regard.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Luc

Thanks Doug for posting, guess my translation was not so good after all.
Luc
"Doug Robbins" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

PopS

Wellll, I'm not so sure of that, actually. Using the "shape"
makes for a lot neater, more consistant pattern of the letters if
you're going to do it for more than three or four lines. By hand
it's a little guess & by golly and if you goof up an earlier line
doing it manually, you have a lot of work to do getting the rest
of it back in "shape" because all the line breaks move to new and
unwanted positions when you make the correction.

Regards,

PopS

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: By far the easiest way to do this is manually, centering the
text (Ctrl+E)
: and inserting manual line breaks (Shift+Enter) as needed.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "HT" wrote in message
: ...
: Pops..I couldn't figure how the use the center text. I
centered the
: paragraph(s) and used enter but it did not give me the
triangle effect.
:
:
: "HT" wrote in message
: ...
: I do not have a "contour" button either. I appreciate the
: feedback..trying
: Pop's way now.
:
:
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : ...
: : Word2003
: : WindowsXP
: :
[...]

PopS

Did you have the line selected when you made the centering
command? I'm not sure of the exact mechanism of why it works and
I can't seem to get enough time to play with it right now but I
like the basic reliability with the exception of things "popping
out" of it if I'm not careful. I think that means there's
something I don't understand yet because Luc said he didn't have
that problem.
Try going back and rereading Luc's original description and
working to it using the Tight, Center etc. and being sure to have
the lines you drew selected before you do that operation.
Basically it's draw the lines, select the lines, and do the wrap
tight; center operation. At this exact moment I don't recall if
both lines need to be selected or not or even how they relate to
what happens. When I get a chance to get it straight in my head
I'll try to post back with something more accurate and
understandable (I hope).

PopS

"HT" wrote in message
: Pops..I couldn't figure how the use the center text. I centered
the
: paragraph(s) and used enter but it did not give me the triangle
effect.
:
:
: "HT" wrote in message
: ...
: I do not have a "contour" button either. I appreciate the
feedback..trying
: Pop's way now.
:
:
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

PopS

No, I think your translation was fine; you just forgot to
mention, and we never thought about, a difference in languages.
Like I said in another post, that's a great idea and it did work
almost as well for me as it did you g.

PopS

"Luc" wrote in message
: Thanks Doug for posting, guess my translation was not so good
after all.
: Luc
: "Doug Robbins" schreef in bericht
: ...
: In the English version, the button is "Tight" There is no
difference
: between 2002 and 2003 in this regard.
:
: --
: Hope this helps.
:
: Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself of my
: services on a paid consulting basis.
:
: Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: "HT" wrote in message
: ...
: I do not have a "contour" button either. I appreciate the
feedback..trying
: Pop's way now.
:
:
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

PopS

Ahh, an MVP; good to see you on this thread.

Have you tried it in 2002? If there's no difference then Luc and
I shouldn't be having different results. Or, I'm still
misunderstanding something, which is also a good possibility. I
originally just assumed that "countour" might have been something
new or that had been relocated somehow. I'm seeing enough posts
on problems and such that are "different" in 2003 that I'm
holding off on any upgrades until I know for sure there's
something there that's useful for me.

Regards,

PopS

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message
: In the English version, the button is "Tight" There is no
difference
: between 2002 and 2003 in this regard.
:
: --
: Hope this helps.
:
: Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my
: services on a paid consulting basis.
:
: Doug Robbins - Word MVP
: "HT" wrote in message
: ...
: I do not have a "contour" button either. I appreciate the
feedback..trying
: Pop's way now.
:
:
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

PopS

Hi Luc,

No need for apologies - I'm quite happy with just discovering a
way to do this with some automation. My way, with manual line
breaks, is a real pain if I have to go back and fix an error,
especially if it's adding or deleting an entire word.

What version of Word are you working in?

I'm interested in this enough to spend some time getting my head
around how it works & why, but just can't seem to find the time
(working weekend here), but I should be free by next week.
If I can't either get it to work your way or any way for that
matter g, and keep the text from jumping off onto the next
page, I'll be back and maybe we can try some empiracal tests back
and forth to help me figure it out?

TIA,

PopS

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Luc

PopS,
Hi again, using Word 2003 here.
Tested again here, the text does not jump around, when the page is full a
new page is started without the lines of course. But I am guessing you only
want the first page to cascade.
I must say that I am not using any kind of centering. When the two lines are
set one allowing textflow to the right (the left line) and one allowing
textflow to the left (the right line) all you have to do is type in your
text and edit to hearts content.
The moment you have chosen Tight (thanks again Doug) you click on advanced,
select the second tab of the dialogue, near the bottom there should be four
ways to wrap text it's the middle two you need.

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

HT

Hi, its me again..thanks for the input guys..
I now understand Luc's instructions (sorry I was too embarrassed to ask but
thanks to Pop's speaking up he answered my questions)..it worked great for
the first 4 sentences but then the text ran underneath the lines.
I tried "Tight", "Both Sides" and received the same effect.

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Luc

Hello HT,
If I read your reply correctly my method does not seem to work for you then.
I'll try to explain it again.
First step:
Draw two separate lines using the line tool of the drawing toolbar, be sure
to draw them so that they do not come together in the same point, leave some
space between them at the bottom of the page.
Second step:
Select the left line by clicking on it, rightclick it and choose Format
AutoShape, choose the Layout tab (third from left), choose the Tight icon,
click on the advanced button (right hand corner), click on the second tab
(don't know the English term), in the third section of the dialogue there
are four ways to let the text flow choose "only to the right" (third radio
button from the left), hit OK two times.
Third step:
Select the line on the right by clicking on it, rightclick it and choose
Format AutoShape, choose the Layout tab (third from left), choose the Tight
icon, click on the advanced button (right hand corner), click on the second
tab (don't know the English term), in the third section of the dialogue
there are four ways to let the text flow choose "only to the left" (second
radio button from the left), hit OK two times.
Fourth step:
Your paragraph marker should now be to the right of the left line, click
there and start to type, type as much text as you want, it will cascade as
expected. Upon reaching the bottom of the page the page being full, and only
then, there will be an automatic new page which of course will not cascade.
Fifth step:
Select the two lines (click and shift+click) choose Format - AutoShape,
colors and lines tab, in the line section choose white as the line colour.
That's all.
Hope this time all is clear, remember I am translating.
Luc

"HT" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

PopS

OK Luc, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! It does indeed work in Word 2002
and probably earlier versions, too! Thanks to your specific and
excellent leadership.
I've got it working, reliably, and perfectly. I -think- it
didn't work for me the first time because I was getting an
erroneous dialog box when I chose the Format Autoshape, which
I'll attribute to memory failure since it never appeared today (I
decided to do a Restart just to be sure everything was pristine
as possible).

The Advance tab you don't know the name of is called "Text
Wrapping". Interestingly enough, I've apparently never looked at
the four choices in thge lower part of that dialog box because
that's the secret to getting it to work right.

Interestingly enough, it's possible to get it half-assed working
with the original instructions I mentioned for 2002, but it will
never be any more than half-assed that way!

So, I'm suspecting that any version of Word that has the tab
names and functions you called out can do this.
Personally the only part I see missing in your writeup is to
ignore the "Draw your Graphic Here" box that pops up in 2002 and
draw the lines where you want them on the page, which is outside
of the suggested box. If you don't get that box in 2003 it's
probably been fixed because it doesn't restrict you to the
suggested box in any way at all. In fact, trying to draw the
lines IN that box will get you the wrong dialog box when you go
to Format Autoshape. You have to ignore it, and it goes away on
its own as soon as you've drawn the first line. Looks like a bug
at work.
It's also fairly important to be sure you set the View to show
the Entire Page for drawing the lines, in my opinion. Then when
you're done formatting set the page width to whatever you like it
to be.
You can also set the lines lower on the page (or higher) and
when you drop into (or out of) the triangular area text just goes
to the normal widths since it isn't within the areas between the
lines.

Good going! And thanks again!

PopS

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Luc" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : : ...
: : : Word2003
: : : WindowsXP
: : :
[...]

Luc

PopS,
Glad it's working now, as Suzanne has already mentioned you can disable the
drawing canvas. I disabled it a long time ago so I forgot to mention that in
my procedure.
Luc
"PopS" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Luc" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

HT

Aha..got it! Apparently I was not leaving enough room on the bottom and
didn't understand the right/left scenario.

Luc..thanks for all of your help!

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Luc" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

Luc

HT,
That's what we are here for.
Good luck
Luc
"HT" schreef in bericht

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Luc" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

PopS

Aha! Of course; thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: If you don't want to use the drawing canvas, then disable it on
the General
: tab of Tools | Options.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "PopS" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: "Luc" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: : "Luc" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : "Luc" wrote in message
: :
[...]
: : : "Luc" wrote in message
: : : ...
[...]
: : : : ...
: : : : Word2003
: : : : WindowsXP
: : : :
[...]

HT

I am so greatful for these newsgroups..!

"Luc" wrote in message
HT,
That's what we are here for.
Good luck

[...]
[...]
[...]