Ralmar

Default different location for page numbers in one document

I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right. It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!
Anne Troy

You will have to have your sections set up as Different First Page under
File--Page Setup--Layout tab.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right. It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Ralmar

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right. It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Thank you. It helped once I separated the five chapters into five different files. That's the only solution I found.

Anne Troy

You must insert section breaks between each Chapter.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of
each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right.
It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Thank you. It helped once I separated the five chapters into five
different files. That's the only solution I found.

Ralmar

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of
each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right.
It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Thank you. It helped once I separated the five chapters into five
different files. That's the only solution I found.

Thanks. Which option: next page or continuous? Exactly where will the cursor be then? Followed by Different First Page option? Where will the cursor be at that point? Thanks.

Stefan Blom

new section starts at the top of the following page, which is where
your cursor will be after the insertion.

Note that (by default) the "Different first page" option will be
inherited from the previous section. This also applies to the contents
of headers and footers, so you only have to insert page numbers twice
(once for the first page footer and once for the main page header) in
the first section, and the rest will follow.

Use the Insert Page Number button on the Header/Footer toolbar go get
the page number in the header (footer).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first

page of
each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top

right.
It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Thank you. It helped once I separated the five chapters into

five
different files. That's the only solution I found.

Thanks. Which option: next page or continuous? Exactly where will

the cursor be then? Followed by Different First Page option? Where
will the cursor be at that point? Thanks.

Charles Kenyon

Have a section break for each new chapter and format your document's layout
to have different first page headers and footers.
See http://addbalance.com/usersguide/sections.htm.

For more on different page numbering challenges and solutions take a look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. For even more,
see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm.

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right. It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
egrolman

How would I do this:
For a book, Left (even-numbered) pages need to be left-aligned and right
(odd-numbered) pages need to be right-aligned. How do I set this up in word?
Thanks.

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right. It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
egrolman

I'm trhying to right-align the numbers in the header, but it won't go to the
very far right. How do I do this? Also, the specs for the publication are
that there is one space between the running head and the text; how do I make
sure (while in the header) that that is where my cursor is?
Thank you again,
Ellen

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right. It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I should have said to set the headers and footers for different even
and odd.

You can put page numbers wherever you want. Generally to right-align you use
the right-tab that is set in the header style. You press tab once to center
something and again to right-align. If it isn't going far enough to the
right, move the right-tab setting to where you want it.

The top and bottom margins are set for both the text and the header/footer
in the page setup dialog under the File menu. (This can also be reached
through a button on the header/footer toolbar.)
--

"Ralmar" wrote in message
I need to have a page number on the bottom center of the first page of
each
of my five chapter and the subsequent page numbers on the top right.
It's
continuing page numbering from 1 to about 200 in WORD 2000!
Please advise! I need help urgently!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you can't get the page number far enough right, it may be because (a)
you've got a frame left over from a page number inserted using Insert | Page
Numbers (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm), (b) you are
using tab characters to put the page number at the right tab (instead of
using Right paragraph alignment), but you have changed the margins and the
tab stop is not at the right margin (if so, you need to to move it), or (c)
you want the page number in the right margin, in which case you need to drag
the tab stop into the margin (if you're using tabs for alignment) or give
the paragraph a negative indent (if you're using Right paragraph alignment).

The amount of space between the header and the document body is determined
by (a) the distance between the Header margin and the Top margin and (b) the
amount of text in the header (additional lines will push the header down).