Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rusty

Default spell check problem

I have a single document in which spell check does not work. Spell check
works fine in all other documents. This problem persists accross multiple
computers. When I say it doesn't work, it simply does not find misspelled
words (automatically or by pressing F7). Grammar check works just fine.

I tried a 'save as' and changed the file name, no luck. I also saved the
doc as a RTF file and saved it back again, but it still doesn't work. If I
copy a misspelled word from the bad document to a new one, spell check does
not work unless I tell it to either use destination formatting, or copy text
only. If I misspell a word in a new doc and copy and paste it into the bad
doc, spell check picks up on it immediately. It still does not see other
misspelled words though.

Any ideas?

Rusty.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+A to select all the text. Go to Tools | Language | Set Language and
remove the check box from "Do not check spelling or grammar." (Or, if this
is an earlier version, change the language from "(no proofing)" to the
desired language.)

"Rusty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rusty

Thanks Suzanne, it worked like a charm. This doc uses styles quite heavily,
and the 'normal' style was corrupt somehow so that spell check no longer
worked. When I tried changing 'do not check spelling...' setting just under
the normal style it did not work. But changing it for the entire document
and then doing a save as seemed to be the trick.

Thanks.