Bob

Default Size of superscript and subscript characters relative to Font size

Superscript and subscript characters are too small. If using 12 point font I
want superscript and subscript characters to be raised (or lowered), and the
size of 10 point, but they come out at about 6 point and are illegible on the
screen.
I don't want to change my font size from 12 point, I don't want to use
character raising or lowering, I just want a subscript 12 point to look like
lowered 10 point.
How do I modify the default super/subscript size and position
characteristics in Word XP (and Word 2000-3 also Macintosh Word98).

Jay Freedman

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:33:04 -0800, Bob
wrote:

Superscript and subscript characters are too small. If using 12 point font I
want superscript and subscript characters to be raised (or lowered), and the
size of 10 point, but they come out at about 6 point and are illegible on the
screen.
I don't want to change my font size from 12 point, I don't want to use
character raising or lowering, I just want a subscript 12 point to look like
lowered 10 point.
How do I modify the default super/subscript size and position
characteristics in Word XP (and Word 2000-3 also Macintosh Word98).

Hi Bob,

You can't modify the real sub- and superscript definitions, which are
hard-coded in the program. (Actually, for most fonts 12 pt superscript
is exactly the same size as 8 pt regular, not 6.)

What you can do is define character styles that include exactly the
size and position formatting you want, assign keyboard shortcuts
and/or toolbar buttons to apply those styles, and use them instead of
the built-in formatting.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman