Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JackieTPA JackieTPA is offline

Default Different formatting on alternate pages

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and the first line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is all the same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and the text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Press the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar to display nonprinting
marks. Is there an extra paragraph mark (¶) in one of the headers? If
so, delete it.

You may also want to verify that no Spacing After (Format | Paragraph,
Indents and Spacing tab) has been added to the header paragraph(s).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JackieTPA" wrote in message

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and the first

line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is all the

same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and the

text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Clarification: Not only spacing after, but also spacing before, could
push down the header contents, and decrease the space for the body
text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JackieTPA" wrote in message

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no

footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and the first

line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is all the

same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and the

text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JackieTPA JackieTPA is offline

Thanks Stefan

Unfortunately I'd already tried those - there are no extra para marks and
the before and after para spacing are exactly the same.

Do you have any other ideas please?

Cheers, Jackie

"JackieTPA" wrote in message

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no

footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and the first

line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is all the

same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and the

text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is there something more in one of the headers, such as a graphic, text
box, or frame? You could display text boundaries (on the View tab of
Tools | Options); that'll make it easier to tell.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JackieTPA" wrote in message

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no

footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and the

first
line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is all

the
same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and the
text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is

present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
JackieTPA JackieTPA is offline

Ah now then, we may be on to something...

No, there is no difference in the headers but displaying text boundaries
enabled me to see that the problem is with the positioning of the text
following the header.

The text starts lower down the page on some pages - these pages are preceded
by a manual page break (coincidentally alternate pages it seems) rather than
an automatic page break.

Could this be it do you think?

Cheers again!

"JackieTPA" wrote in message

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no
footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and the

first
line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is all

the
same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and the
text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is

present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, manual page breaks can certainly be the culprit here. On the
Compatibility tab of Tools | Options, check the option to "Suppress
Space Before after a hard page or column break." That should fix the
problem.

Note that if a certain style should always start on a new page,
instead of using manual page breaks, you can set its Spacing Before to
zero and then enable the "Page break before" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JackieTPA" wrote in message

I have a long document that has a header on each page (no
footers).
Alternate pages have a larger gap between the header and

the
first
line of
text.

The headers are all the same style, the following text is

all
the
same style.

I have used reveal formatting and compared the headers and

the
text - it
says there are no differences, yet still my problem is

present.

Please can anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(I'm using Word200)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline