Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tbg22 tbg22 is offline

Default page numbering for multi-page tables?

Our previous publishing software had a construct "page M of N" that you could
put in a table header row. Makes navigating a multi-page table much easier.
Does anyone know to get Word to number the parts of a table when the table is
split across pages by (soft) breaks?
--
TomG
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is not really possible at all in a (repeating) table heading row. It's
possible in the document header if (a) the table is in a separate section,
(b) numbering is restarted at 1 in that section, and (c) the Page X of Y
syntax uses Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES } instead of Page { PAGE } of
{ NUMPAGES }.

"tbg22" wrote in message
Our previous publishing software had a construct "page M of N" that you

could
put in a table header row. Makes navigating a multi-page table much

easier.
Does anyone know to get Word to number the parts of a table when the table

is
split across pages by (soft) breaks?
--
TomG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
tbg22 tbg22 is offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I was aware of how page numbering worked for
document headers and footers. I was unsuccessful in using those fields in the
tabl; header rows (on every page of the table the header gave the current
page number at the start of the table, and did not increment across page
breaks). Looks like the experts agree this is not a native Word capability. I
will experiment some with VBA (I know Excel but not Word objects, so this
will be "interesting").

Thanks again,
--
TomG

"tbg22" wrote in message
Our previous publishing software had a construct "page M of N" that you

could
put in a table header row. Makes navigating a multi-page table much

easier.
Does anyone know to get Word to number the parts of a table when the table

is
split across pages by (soft) breaks?
--
TomG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

A repeating heading row in a table really exists only on the first page; it
is an artifact on the subsequent pages (as can be judged from the fact that
it cannot be seen in Normal view). In this sense it is similar to a page
header.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not really possible at all in a (repeating) table heading row.

It's
possible in the document header if (a) the table is in a separate

section,
(b) numbering is restarted at 1 in that section, and (c) the Page X of Y
syntax uses Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES } instead of Page { PAGE }

of
{ NUMPAGES }.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.