Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Default \# Not Working

Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hello Gaston,

Insufficient information! Please post samples of the mergefields using these
switches.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Sorry Macropod...

{MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual"\###.###}
{MERGEFIELD "Fecha_Ult_Increm"\@dd/mm/yy}

None is working.
Thanks for your help.
Gastón

macropod ha escrito:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try {MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual \# "##.000"} (was that supposed to be
three decimal places?)
and {MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm \@ "dd/MM/yy"}
and make sure the quotes are plain quotes and not smart quotes.
Having made the changes, update the fields
See also http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

wrote:
Sorry Macropod...

{MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual"\###.###}
{MERGEFIELD "Fecha_Ult_Increm"\@dd/mm/yy}

None is working.
Thanks for your help.
Gastsn

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

It's still not working. I've read your page, very good source.
neither of them are working Don't know what to do, I've updated the
values with F9 save it and opened it again.
I've tried this... ¨{MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual"\# "##.000}
and..... {MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm \@ "dd/MM/yy"}
Don`t know what to do..
Thanks fotr your help

Graham Mayor ha escrito:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What do
{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual}
and.....
{MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm}
produce without the switches?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What is the data source and what field types are Total_Fijo_mensual and
Fecha_Ult_Increm ?

Does for example, { DATE \@ "dd/MM/yy" } work as you expect? If it does, it
sounds as if Word is not recognising Fecha_Ult_Increm as a date. Something
similar could be going on with Total_Fijo_Mensual as well (although I rather
doubt it.

{MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual"\# "##.000}

It really needs to be

{ MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual" \# "##.000" }
or
{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual \# "##.000" }

(the spacing may or may not be important but the closing quote probably is).

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Thanks Peter,

Total_Fijo_mensual is a formula in excel, and it`s format is currency.
Fecha_ult_increm is a date in excel.
I've tried { DATE \@ "dd/MM/yy" } and it works perfectly,
Thanks for your help.
Gastón

Peter Jamieson ha escrito:

What is the data source and what field types are Total_Fijo_mensual and
Fecha_Ult_Increm ?

Does for example, { DATE \@ "dd/MM/yy" } work as you expect? If it does, it
sounds as if Word is not recognising Fecha_Ult_Increm as a date. Something
similar could be going on with Total_Fijo_Mensual as well (although I rather
doubt it.

{MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual"\# "##.000}

It really needs to be

{ MERGEFIELD "Total_Fijo_Mensual" \# "##.000" }
or
{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual \# "##.000" }

(the spacing may or may not be important but the closing quote probably is).

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Without the switches I get,

{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual} 4389.44 ( I want no decimal places)

{MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm} 38078

Thanks

What do

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think there may be an issue relating to regional settings. Is '.' a
thousands separator in your Word version?
As fore the first item,
{ =ROUND({MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual},0) }
should give you the nearest whole number.
The second field does not contain a date. You cannot derive a Word date from
it.
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when
you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
given the option of using the DDE method of connection which should read the
data as you have it formatted in the table.

wrote:
Without the switches I get,

{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual} 4389.44 ( I want no decimal places)

{MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm} 38078

Thanks

What do
{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual}
and.....
{MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm}
produce without the switches?

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve
tried everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Your dates are probably in "Julian date" format which is why Word won't
format them. I do not know why Word sometimes gets them in this format, but
maybe that bit of information will help you identify whether there is
anything unusual about your date column in Excel, or whether creating
another column which refers to the date will help.

I agree with Graham about the numbers.

Peter Jamieson
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

oups.com...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Thanks!
I have changed the regional configuration to my pc and It seems to be
working.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Peter Jamieson ha escrito:

Your dates are probably in "Julian date" format which is why Word won't
format them. I do not know why Word sometimes gets them in this format, but
maybe that bit of information will help you identify whether there is
anything unusual about your date column in Excel, or whether creating
another column which refers to the date will help.

I agree with Graham about the numbers.

Peter Jamieson
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Peter,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Don´t know what else to do.

Nor do I :-(

Just some thoughts/questions...

Are your dates entered directly into Excel?
How do they look in Excel?
Are /all/ the cells with dates in this column formatted as dates? Which
format is used?

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Now I have problems with the date. Don´t know what else to do.
I have changed the date format and nothing.
Thanks for all the help.

ha escrito:

Thanks!
I have changed the regional configuration to my pc and It seems to be
working.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Peter Jamieson ha escrito:

Your dates are probably in "Julian date" format which is why Word won't
format them. I do not know why Word sometimes gets them in this format,
but
maybe that bit of information will help you identify whether there is
anything unusual about your date column in Excel, or whether creating
another column which refers to the date will help.

I agree with Graham about the numbers.

Peter Jamieson
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Peter,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Peter,

The dates are entered directly into excel formated as date with
regional configuration in English and they look like: 1-apr-04
I've tried diferent ways but none is working.
Thanks for the help

Peter Jamieson ha escrito:

wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Peter,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you re-connecting to your Excel data source (from Word) when you make
format changes?

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...

wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Peter,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Thanks Peter and all of you who have helped me.
I've solve this problem, What have I done:
I've changed regional configuration to english
I've changed some headers
I've re connected the data souce
I've formated each field individually.

Thanks.

Peter Jamieson ha escrito:

wrote in message
[...]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Peter,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Gaston,

The problem here seems to be that the mailmerge data are being transferred
in Excel's native format, rather than with the formatting that you applied
there. You can preserve the source data’s formatting by using Dynamic Data
Exchange (DDE).

To choose the DDE data transfer method when you're connecting to an Excel
worksheet during a mail merge, all you have to do is select one check box in
Word:
1. On the Word Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
2. Click Confirm conversion at Open.

At the step in the mail-merge process where you connect to your data file,
after you locate the file you want to connect to, the Confirm Data Source
dialog box opens. Click “Application via DDE (*.???)”, and then click OK. In
the Application dialog box, select the table/range that contains the
information you want to merge, and then click OK. The data will now be
formatted the same in your merged documents as they look in the source file.

Alternatively, you can code mailmerge fields with the appropriate formulae
and numeric/picture switches.

For 'Total_Fijo_Mensual ', all you'd need to do is add a picture switch to
the field, thus:
{MERGEFIELD Total_Fijo_Mensual \# ,0}
This will round off each amount to the nearest whole number. You may want to
do this anyway if your Excel data are formatted to show the decimal values,
but you don't want to show them in your mailmerge or alter your source file.

For 'Fecha_Ult_Increm', the numers you're seeing are the serial values Excel
uses for dates. To fix this you could download my Date Calc 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=249902
and adapt the field coding under the heading 'Importing Date and Time Values
From Excel and Access' to suit, by changing the 'ImportValue' string to
'MERGEFIELD Fecha_Ult_Increm' and modifying the date & time switch.

Personally, I'd recommend using the DDE connection.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

oups.com...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,
I have a problem, a big one.
I`m trying to format mergefields and \# is not working, I`ve tried
everything... also \@ is not working.
I have Office 2003 SP1 in Spanish.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] GastonFranzini@gmail.com is offline

Thanks Macropod,
I've read that solution on another post and tried it. I had problems
connecting with DDE.
The solution I found was to change the regional settings. Now I have to
get used to the date format mm/dd/yyyy for all the other applications.
In other PC's I can't make it work without changing the regional
config.
Thanks
Gastón

macropod ha escrito:

[...]