Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hammar2007 Hammar2007 is offline

Default "My Documents" default save - Word 2007

I want to change the default so that when I am saving a new document, Word
saves it to a place I designate and not to "My Documents."

I have gone to Word Options / Save and made the "Default file location" a
folder on my C drive/User. Nevertheless, it persists in saving things to My
Documents, where I never, ever go except for looking for documents it's saved
there against my wishes.

Any tips on making it behave would be gratefully received.
--
hammar2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This can be a sign that a registry tree has become corrupted. It might be
DOC-PATH, or it might be Options, where DOC-PATH is stored. If you're
comfortable editing the registry, I would first take a look at the DOC-PATH
setting in the following key (with Word closed):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Options

If it says something other that what you want it to be, try changing it
using the registry editor. Then close the registry editor and see if Word
now remembers correctly the location you want.

If that doesn't work, try renaming the Options key. Word will lose some
personalized settings, and you will see the Initializing... notice, since
Options is also where the FirstRun value is stored.
--

Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible