Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default "List bullet n" paragraphs show up in TOC

I did something to my "List Bullet 1/2/3..." styles to cause them to
show up in the TOC. I thought it might have been through
BulletsAndNumbering-OutlineNumbered-Customize. However, I have
since Set OutlnieNumbered to None, applied that to the style
definition, then set up bullets in BulletsAndNumbering-Bulleted.
Those paragraphs still show up in the TOC when I regenerate it. Is
there anything I can do to stop that? I'm using Word 2003 on Windows
XP.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you been using the Document Map? It is notorious for adding outline
levels to paragraphs that *look* like headings. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm.

On the other hand, if you haven't been using the Document Map, I'm guessing
that the "Outline level" setting of the List Bullet style has been modified.
To fix that, in the Modify Style dialog box click Format, Paragraph. On the
Indents and Spacing tab, make sure that the "Outline level" is "Body Text."
Click OK to confirm the settings, and then update the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
I did something to my "List Bullet 1/2/3..." styles to cause them to
show up in the TOC. I thought it might have been through
BulletsAndNumbering-OutlineNumbered-Customize. However, I have
since Set OutlnieNumbered to None, applied that to the style
definition, then set up bullets in BulletsAndNumbering-Bulleted.
Those paragraphs still show up in the TOC when I regenerate it. Is
there anything I can do to stop that? I'm using Word 2003 on Windows
XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Clarification: Of course you will have to modify each List Bullet n style
separately (if indeed the style definition turns out to be the problem).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
I did something to my "List Bullet 1/2/3..." styles to cause them to
show up in the TOC. I thought it might have been through
BulletsAndNumbering-OutlineNumbered-Customize. However, I have
since Set OutlnieNumbered to None, applied that to the style
definition, then set up bullets in BulletsAndNumbering-Bulleted.
Those paragraphs still show up in the TOC when I regenerate it. Is
there anything I can do to stop that? I'm using Word 2003 on Windows
XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

I deliberately changed the paragraph formatting of those styles to
have outline levels match the bullet number (or bullet "level") so
that it would show up in the Document Map. It wasn't until I messed
with formatting of bullets/numbering for those styles that the started
showing up in the TOC. And only for the two styles that I did that
to. I would like to get it back to the way it was before, which was
to have them show up in Document Map, but not in the TOC. For now,
due to time, I've set the styles' paragraph formatting to have no
outline levels (they are all body text).

Thanks for that...still hoping there is a way to achieve the effect I
initially got.

"Paul" wrote:
I did something to my "List Bullet 1/2/3..." styles to cause them to
show up in the TOC. *I thought it might have been through
BulletsAndNumbering-OutlineNumbered-Customize. *However, I have
since Set OutlnieNumbered to None, applied that to the style
definition, then set up bullets in BulletsAndNumbering-Bulleted.
Those paragraphs still show up in the TOC when I regenerate it. *Is
there anything I can do to stop that? *I'm using Word 2003 on Windows
XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press Alt+F9 to show field codes. The table of contents will look similar
to: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u }.

By default, the TOC includes any style with an "Outline level" specified
(that is what the \o switch does).

What you can do is edit the TOC field code so that only specific styles are
included: Delete the \o switch as well as the \u switch (which adds
paragraphs with direct "Outline level" formatting to the TOC). Then add \t
"Heading 1,1,Heading 2,2,Heading 3,3" (you can add more styles according to
the "stylename,level,stylename,level" pattern, if you want to).

After you have modified the field code, press Alt+F9 to hide field codes
again. Then update the TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP