Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tenacity Tenacity is offline

Default "Old Style" of Compare Documents

There are times when it is more optimal to use the Word 2000 style of compare
documents, ie, instead of baloons with the deleted text, the text is shown in
the body of the document as strikeout, with inserts shown underlined.

Is it possible in Word 2003 to toggle "on" the 2000 version and toggle it
off when you want to revert to 2003 style.

I have seen that this toggle feature is available for Track Changes, where
you can use the old 2000 style of moving from change to change, so hopefully
a similar functionality is there for compare docs.

Thanks for your input.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

In Word 2003 all you can do is use Normal view to suppress the
balloons and see the revisions inline. However Word 2007 does contains
the option to show all revisions inline in Print Layout view as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Tenacity" wrote in message
There are times when it is more optimal to use the Word 2000 style
of compare
documents, ie, instead of baloons with the deleted text, the text is
shown in
the body of the document as strikeout, with inserts shown
underlined.

Is it possible in Word 2003 to toggle "on" the 2000 version and
toggle it
off when you want to revert to 2003 style.

I have seen that this toggle feature is available for Track Changes,
where
you can use the old 2000 style of moving from change to change, so
hopefully
a similar functionality is there for compare docs.

Thanks for your input.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tenacity Tenacity is offline

Suzanne

Your suggestion did the trick. Thanks!

"Tenacity" wrote in message
There are times when it is more optimal to use the Word 2000 style of

compare
documents, ie, instead of baloons with the deleted text, the text is shown

in
the body of the document as strikeout, with inserts shown underlined.

Is it possible in Word 2003 to toggle "on" the 2000 version and toggle it
off when you want to revert to 2003 style.

I have seen that this toggle feature is available for Track Changes, where
you can use the old 2000 style of moving from change to change, so

hopefully
a similar functionality is there for compare docs.

Thanks for your input.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tenacity Tenacity is offline

A related question. The check box under Tools-Options-Security:

"Remove personal items from document on save"

How can one make this permanently checked rather than having to manually
check it each time? Or at least remains checked until unchecked. Right now,
the checkmark is removed whenever a new document is opened. Thanks.

"Tenacity" wrote in message
There are times when it is more optimal to use the Word 2000 style of

compare
documents, ie, instead of baloons with the deleted text, the text is shown

in
the body of the document as strikeout, with inserts shown underlined.

Is it possible in Word 2003 to toggle "on" the 2000 version and toggle it
off when you want to revert to 2003 style.

I have seen that this toggle feature is available for Track Changes, where
you can use the old 2000 style of moving from change to change, so

hopefully
a similar functionality is there for compare docs.

Thanks for your input.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

This is a document option rather than an application option. While you
can make this the default by setting it in Normal.dot, I don't
recommend it.

The one time you actually need it is the time it will bite you. I used
to have it set as the default but after losing several hours worth of
work by saving a carefully edited document and ending up with "Author"
for every revision/comment instead of the review name I regretted
making it the default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Tenacity" wrote in message
A related question. The check box under Tools-Options-Security:

"Remove personal items from document on save"

How can one make this permanently checked rather than having to
manually
check it each time? Or at least remains checked until unchecked.
Right now,
the checkmark is removed whenever a new document is opened. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's a per-document setting (sensibly, since most users wouldn't necessarily
want it to apply to all documents), but if you want it to apply to all
documents based on a specific template, change the setting in the template
itself.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have chosen not to use balloons for Track Changes, I would think

Word
would use the same setting for Compare Documents. Are you not seeing

that?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.