Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Defaults to RTF format

The tools options Save settings are stored in the Word Data key in the
registry. This key can sometimes become partially corrupted leading to a
variety of odd settings. You could delete the data key with Word closed and
allow Word to build a new default key (which it will when Word is restarted)
or if this is the only issue and the problem returns you can force the
required setting with a pair of macros in the normal template. See the
autoopen and autonew macros at the end of
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm . In this instance the macros
would be

Sub AutoOpen()
Application.DefaultSaveFormat = ""
End Sub
Sub AutoNew
Application.DefaultSaveFormat = ""
End Sub

"Clairebear" wrote in message
I have tried this myself, both with my normal.dot and also the file I am
saving under another name (it is one of our office precedents as set as a
read only file if this makes any difference), all are set to .doc - yet
when
I "save as" it defaults to .rtf
Any other ideas???

"Office Helper" wrote:

Try opening the Normal.dot file, then make the change you described and
close
and reopen word. It usually stores those settings in that file.

"Amanda" wrote:

Why does Word 2002 default to RTF format? On one computer, even when I
change the default format (under tools\options\save tab), to Word .DOC
files,
when I close down Word and reopen it, the setting has reverted back to
.RTF
format.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Word, but this still occurs. Any
ideas
what I should check please?

Thanks

Mailmerge date format Ocean Mailmerge 5 April 9th 06 06:28 PM
Syntax for Number format in the Text Form Field Options Ed Hall 61 Microsoft Word Help 3 May 8th 05 07:51 PM
How to paste and retain pasting material format? Bob_Y Microsoft Word Help 1 May 8th 05 07:05 PM
Is Word 2.0 format same as Word 2000 format? Liliana Microsoft Word Help 5 April 6th 05 12:52 PM
Maintaining the format of linked tables. James Tables 1 December 8th 04 01:30 PM