Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Joseph Joseph is offline

Default Formatting Sytles with Bullets

I am not haveing a lot of fun formating styles and bullets.

I have an SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) Manual that is some 400 pages.
Orginally created with Corel Word. I have broken it down into the individual
sections that are two to five pages each, so that it is easier to work with,
but I may be wrong. I am trying to set the styles with the bullets/numbering,
but it resets the paragraph settings that I set up. And vice versa. Where
am I going wrong? I have Word 2k.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

When defining bulleted and numbered styles, you must define indents etc. from
the "Customize Numbered List" or the "Customize Outline Numbered List" dialog
box. If you try to modify the settings via the Paragraph dialog box, Word
overrides those settings (as you have experienced).

If you follow the procedures in the following articles _very carefully_, you
should be able to make the styles work:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html

About breaking up your document:
Word can handle large documents. I think you make your life much more
difficult by breaking up the document in a large amount of documents.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Joseph" wrote:

I am not haveing a lot of fun formating styles and bullets.

I have an SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) Manual that is some 400 pages.
Orginally created with Corel Word. I have broken it down into the individual
sections that are two to five pages each, so that it is easier to work with,
but I may be wrong. I am trying to set the styles with the bullets/numbering,
but it resets the paragraph settings that I set up. And vice versa. Where
am I going wrong? I have Word 2k.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Joseph Joseph is offline

Thanks for the info. I thought I had to go thru each style to format the
numbering.

Also, I understand that Word can handle the large document. And I am pretty
good at using it, I think. The problem is that nobody else here does. And I
am not the only one who modifies the SOP. So, in order to maintain page
formating (breaks, numbering, tabs, etc), I broke it up. Plus it is easier
to print out one file than have to find what pages to print out.