Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Sandu

Default Assigning shortcut keys to paragraph styles in Word 2007

After installing the beta, I tried to create a new style and assign to it a
shortcut key, ALT+S. Enetring the dialog box for Shortcut key, I typed ALT+S
and the I've seen "[unassigned]". But when I pushed the Assign button, I
received an error like "Word cannot change..." something related to already
assigned keys.
I don't realize what's happening, because in Word 2003 this action was
working sharp...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2003 allows you to assign Alt combinations even though they may be the
accelerator keys for menu items (which it doesn't bother to tell you). In
Word 2007, I imagine that the behavior has changed to (a) still not telling
you the current assignment but (b) not letting you reassign the combination.
In the case of Word 2007, I believe this may be because the shortcuts are
contextual.

"John Sandu" John wrote in message
After installing the beta, I tried to create a new style and assign to it

shortcut key, ALT+S. Enetring the dialog box for Shortcut key, I typed

ALT+S
and the I've seen "[unassigned]". But when I pushed the Assign button, I
received an error like "Word cannot change..." something related to

already
assigned keys.
I don't realize what's happening, because in Word 2003 this action was
working sharp...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Sandu

Thanks, Suzanne.

Yes, I've seen that pressing ALT and waiting a little, we can see letters
and digits which we can combine in shortcuts; S is combined in many contexts,
so I can understand ALT+S can be a built-in shortcut when I make a document.
We have to accept part of (or all) the changes and adapt to them, that's
evolution.

Now I am looking for a method to assign shortcuts to paragraph styles (or
some other objects). I mean - "handy shortcuts", not shortcuts (very)
difficult to type... So, my next question could be: How can I know what
shortcuts are "free of charge"? Or, better, there is a method to know if a
shortcut is reserved or not (I mean in Office 2007)?

John Sandu

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Sandu

I'm back because I've noticed something interesting.
I've recorded a macro (Word 2007) and I made the option for a keyboard
shortcut. ALT+S was accepted!!! ALT+Q was accepted!!! The two alternatives
were rejected for paragraph styles, remember?

Maybe you're right, Suzanne (or you know more...) when you talk about
context shortcuts. But I think there is a contradiction: my macro will be
used in the same context as the paragraph style - entering text in Print
Layout. And my shortcut (ALT+Q) is working!

What can I understand from all this?

John Sandu

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBTYW5kdQ==?=,

After installing the beta, I tried to create a new style and assign to it a
shortcut key, ALT+S. Enetring the dialog box for Shortcut key, I typed ALT+S
and the I've seen "[unassigned]". But when I pushed the Assign button, I
received an error like "Word cannot change..." something related to already
assigned keys.
I don't realize what's happening, because in Word 2003 this action was
working sharp...

Try doing it this way:

The "Start" button (top left), Word Options (bottom of the list). CHoose
Customize from the list on the left, then click the Keyboard shortcut button.
From the list on the left, choose "Styles". Select your style from the list on
the right, and continue as usual.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Sandu

It WORKS!!!

I assigned ALT+S as Shortcut key to my paragraph style.

It's... a kind of complicated, I guess. Is it allowed a such shortcut, or it
is not?

Thanks, Cindy, you got me a way to solve my styles in the... old manner.

John Sandu

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBTYW5kdQ==?=,

After installing the beta, I tried to create a new style and assign to it a
shortcut key, ALT+S. Enetring the dialog box for Shortcut key, I typed ALT+S
and the I've seen "[unassigned]". But when I pushed the Assign button, I
received an error like "Word cannot change..." something related to already
assigned keys.
I don't realize what's happening, because in Word 2003 this action was
working sharp...

Try doing it this way:

The "Start" button (top left), Word Options (bottom of the list). CHoose
Customize from the list on the left, then click the Keyboard shortcut button.
From the list on the left, choose "Styles". Select your style from the list on
the right, and continue as usual.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi John,

It's... a kind of complicated, I guess. Is it allowed a such shortcut, or it
is not?

Well, I think that not being able to assign a shortcut through the Styles
dialog box is a bug :-) I've logged it as such, in any case. It may well be
that this is fixed in the final release, thanks to your asking this question!

Keep up the good work :-)