Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer72401 jennifer72401 is offline

Default Page Reference referencing actual page # not what's in footer

I have two documents, Doc A and Doc B. Doc B starts on page 41, but when I
make a reference in Doc A (i.e. see Doc B on page __) it comes up as "1" and
not "41". Technically, it's page 1, but i want it to say 41 (as it does in
the footer).

These are the steps that I took:

I double clicked the footer in Doc B and highlighted the "41" and did insert
bookmark and named it landuse.

The code I used in Doc A is {PAGE "C:\\Documents and
Settings\\jmorris\\Desktop\\test\\4bLandUse.doc" landuse}

When i update the field, it shows up as page 1 and not 41. Is there a way to
fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your mistake was in bookmarking the page field itself. Since the page number
appears on every page, Word can't assign a single page number to it.
Instead, insert your bookmark somewhere in the text portion of that first
page; then try again and see if you get the desired result.

"jennifer72401" wrote in message
I have two documents, Doc A and Doc B. Doc B starts on page 41, but when I
make a reference in Doc A (i.e. see Doc B on page __) it comes up as "1"
and
not "41". Technically, it's page 1, but i want it to say 41 (as it does in
the footer).

These are the steps that I took:

I double clicked the footer in Doc B and highlighted the "41" and did
insert
bookmark and named it landuse.

The code I used in Doc A is {PAGE "C:\\Documents and
Settings\\jmorris\\Desktop\\test\\4bLandUse.doc" landuse}

When i update the field, it shows up as page 1 and not 41. Is there a way
fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are all these pages in a single section? And you used "Start at 41" in the
Format Page Number dialog to start the numbering at 41 on the first page?
And you have selected the PageRef and updated it with F9?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer72401 jennifer72401 is offline

Yes, it does say "start at 41" in teh format page number dialog. I do have
'different first page' checked in page set up, but i'm only looking to
bookmark the first page of each of my documents, so hopefully multiple
sections wont matter in this instance.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jennifer72401 jennifer72401 is offline

yes.

The only thing I can think of, is there's a macro I run from the TOC file
(based on RD fields) that consecutively updates the page numbers. But it
still says 'start at page 41' in the page format dialog box (as you asked
previously).