Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoff[_4_] Geoff[_4_] is offline

Default Deleted tables: updating captions?

I have Word '07 but am editing a document for a friend that is Word '03 format.

I have created a TOC, a List of Figures, and a List of Tables. He wants to
delete three tables at the beginning. So I just deleted the captions for
them. I was hoping that the first table now (previously the fourth) would
become Table 1 upon updating the list, but it is still Table 4. I updated the
field, but still the rest of the tables are not the right number. There are
about 80 tables, so updating each field isn't terribly difficult, but there's
a good chance that more changes will be made to this list as well as to the
List of Figures. Is there an easier way?

Alternatively, is there a way to renumber the first three captions E1, E2,
and E3?

TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Geoff,

Try Ctrl-A the F9 to update all fields simultaneously.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Geoff" wrote in message ...
I have Word '07 but am editing a document for a friend that is Word '03 format.

I have created a TOC, a List of Figures, and a List of Tables. He wants to
delete three tables at the beginning. So I just deleted the captions for
them. I was hoping that the first table now (previously the fourth) would
become Table 1 upon updating the list, but it is still Table 4. I updated the
field, but still the rest of the tables are not the right number. There are
about 80 tables, so updating each field isn't terribly difficult, but there's
a good chance that more changes will be made to this list as well as to the
List of Figures. Is there an easier way?

Alternatively, is there a way to renumber the first three captions E1, E2,
and E3?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geoff[_4_] Geoff[_4_] is offline

"macropod" wrote:

Try Ctrl-A the F9 to update all fields simultaneously.

Thanks. I actually figured that out all on my own and kind of embarrassed I
didn't sooner. ;-)