Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim Cameron

Default Using a header to generate a table of contents

Is it possible to use a header to generate a table of contents. I have
created many sections within my document and would like to generate a table
of contents based on the many sections (each with their unique header). I
have applied a style to each of the fields (in the header) that I would like
Word to use in generating the table of contents.

I am using MS Word 2003

Thanks
Tim Cameron
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

If you really mean "Header" in the Word sense, then no, you can't generate a
TOC from that information. What you need to do is use *Headings* in the
text. If you want these to repeat in the page headers throughout a section,
then use a StyleRef field. Note that if you use styles consistently (e.g.
Heading 1 to style your headings) then you can often avoid having multiple
sections (or at least different header content) since the StyleRef field
referring to that style will pick up the current Heading text.

You might find the following helpful

On TOCs:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html
http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/Arti...orkaround3.pdf