Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
WendyMc WendyMc is offline

Default Access to Word Merge - missing £sign

When merging a currency field from Access to a Word mail merge the £ sign and
decimal places are not formatting automatically within the Word document.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Many thanks

Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you're just getting a number such as 1.5 when you're expecting £1.50 then
the problem is that Word gets the "raw" number without formatting from
Access. In that case, you can try two things:
a. change the way Word connects to Access (check Word
Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open", then go through the
process of connecting to the data source again, and choose the DDE method
when prompted) or
b. forget the formatting in Access, and use a numeric format switch in Word
(longer term this is the preferable approach, as long as it works, of
course).

For example, if you use alt-F9 to show your field codes in Word and you see

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \*Mergeformat }

try changing the code to

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#"£,0.00" \*Mergeformat }

However, if what you're seeing is a completely wrong display, e.g. £1.50
doesn't even display as 1.50 or 1.5, it's probably because Word does not
always merge currency type columns from Access correctly (there used to be
something wrong with the code that displays these values, but I have to say
I haven't heard about that particular problem for quite a while). In that
case it may be worth trying option (a) above, but if that doesn't work I'd
suggest that you try creating an Access query that returns all the columns
you need, but explicitly converts all the currency type columns into
non-currency "floating point" type numbers using the cdbl function. (I
haven't checked this recently, so bear with me if that turns out not to be
possible). If that means nothing, post back and let's try to step through
it.

Peter Jamieson