Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Krissy Krissy is offline

Default New Laptop

How come my new laptop didn't come with microsoft word or works? It has
windows XP and I need microsoft word for college. What do I do?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

What you do is buy Word or Works or Office. It doesn't come with Windows,
and it doesn't come with a computer unless the vendor included it as part of
the purchase price.
- Probably the least expensive is to buy Microsoft Works Suite 2006, which
includes Word 2002. That's the version before the most recent one. This is
available on Amazon.com for $75 after rebate
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...6ZT8?v=glance), or
slightly less at some other sites.

- As a student, you're eligible to buy the Student and Teachers edition of
Microsoft Office 2003. That will be
about $110
(http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi...2003/dp/B0000C...)
or possibly less at your school store.

- Buy the full Microsoft Office package or just Word by itself, from an
online vendor or from an office-supply store or the like. You'll probably
find that Word alone costs more than half as much as the full Office
selection.

If "free" is the right price and you don't need all the bells and whistles,
try http://www.openoffice.org.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Krissy wrote:
How come my new laptop didn't come with microsoft word or works? It
has windows XP and I need microsoft word for college. What do I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chocoholic Chocoholic is offline

Hate to say this on a Microsoft newsgroup, but there is a product called Open
Office that you can also use. Free download at www.openoffice.org. It will
open Office documents and save in Office document formats (.doc, .xls, etc.).
If you are in college and can't afford the Microsoft suite right away, this
might be a nice alternative for now.