Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce C Bruce C is offline

Default Enter text once, have it repeated in Header on each subsequent pag

I write reports for work. The client name is at the top of the first page of
the report (among other info such as company and Claim number). On each
subsequent page, I have to repeat those three fields in the header portion.
I would like to enter the data once and have it auto appear on each page. It
is not in the header on Page one. These are reports and have a lot of typing
on each page and the format changes on each report so it is not a typical
form where I can fill in blanks. I am using Vista and Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce C[_2_] Bruce C[_2_] is offline

Default Enter text once, have it repeated in Header on each subsequent

The problem is that the format is different and the header on the first page
is company letter head. The second page is as described, the Client name,
Client file number and page number. This information is typed on the first
page, but not in the header. I have done this in older versions of Word (a
lot older) but can't find it in 2007.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use "Different first page" setting for the header and insert a StyleRef
field in the Header that begins on page 2. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm

"Bruce C" Bruce wrote in message
I write reports for work. The client name is at the top of the first page
of
the report (among other info such as company and Claim number). On each
subsequent page, I have to repeat those three fields in the header
portion.
I would like to enter the data once and have it auto appear on each page.
It
is not in the header on Page one. These are reports and have a lot of
typing
on each page and the format changes on each report so it is not a typical
form where I can fill in blanks. I am using Vista and Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You set the document up as described at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm. The letterhead goes in
the First Page Header. You apply a distinctive (probably character) style to
each of the elements on page 1 and put the StyleRef fields in the Header
that begins on page 2.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce C[_2_] Bruce C[_2_] is offline

Suzanne,
The template worked great, but I am not sure about the style thing. I
can set up additional FillIns, but was just trying to prevent retyping the
same data. It seems like there is an easier way to add the same field to
different areas of the document.
Thanks for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might want to see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm for other
options, but in my opinion, the StyleRef option is much the easiest, not
least because the StyleRef fields update automatically. I don't understand
what you find so difficult about it. You type the information one time in
the given style, and the StyleRef fields throughout the document update
automatically.