Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shreck Shreck is offline

Default Can't open Excel 2007 data source from Word 2003 document

Hi,
I have Office 2003 with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed. For file
sharing needs with other people I must use Office 2007 format.
I created an Excel 2007 workbook and wanted to use it for mail merge from a
Word 2007 document. But Word does not allow me to select a Excel 2007 file
(.xlsx) as a data source for the mail merge. When I choose All Files (*.*)
type I can see and select the Excel 2007 file but I get a file conversion
problem an Word doesn't seem to be able to read the excel doc correctly.
Any suggestion?
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Shreck

Shreck wrote:
I have Office 2003 with Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed. For file
sharing needs with other people I must use Office 2007 format.

usually it's the other way round: if you are dealing in mixed-version
environment, everybody should use the oldest format ...

I created an Excel 2007 workbook and wanted to use it for mail merge from a
Word 2007 document. But Word does not allow me to select a Excel 2007 file
(.xlsx) as a data source for the mail merge. When I choose All Files (*.*)
type I can see and select the Excel 2007 file but I get a file conversion
problem an Word doesn't seem to be able to read the excel doc correctly.

The Compatibility Pack enables your version to read and write the new
formats (Word can read/write docx, Excel can read/write xlsx, etc.). I
doubt you can use it to enable Word to use an unknown excel source,
though. What connection method are you using?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |