Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim[_3_] Tim[_3_] is offline

Default Modifying Open and Save As Dialog Boxes

In Word 2003, I was able to add locations to the shortcuts on the left side
of the Open and Save As dialog boxes. I can't figure out how to do this in
Word 2007. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Windows XP or Vista?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Outlook 2007 Performance Update: http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/13/105
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://ribboncustomizer.com
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Tim" wrote in message
:

In Word 2003, I was able to add locations to the shortcuts on the left side
of the Open and Save As dialog boxes. I can't figure out how to do this in
Word 2007. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim[_3_] Tim[_3_] is offline

XP.

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote in message
Windows XP or Vista?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

"Tim" wrote in message
:

In Word 2003, I was able to add locations to the shortcuts on the left
side
of the Open and Save As dialog boxes. I can't figure out how to do this
in
Word 2007. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message ...
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim[_4_] Tim[_4_] is offline

Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list. Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Word 2007 is like previous versions, you can't remove the default
"places" except by editing the Registry (which affects your ability to add
new places), but you can move them down. If your custom places fill the
Places Bar, the default ones will be hidden.

"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure

what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.

Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tim[_4_] Tim[_4_] is offline

That's apparently true for all places except for "Trusted Templates." There
is no option to "Move Down" and no option to move the one below it up.
Where in the registry can I get rid of this?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If Word 2007 is like previous versions, you can't remove the default
"places" except by editing the Registry (which affects your ability to add
new places), but you can move them down. If your custom places fill the
Places Bar, the default ones will be hidden.

so
all may benefit.

"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the
list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure

what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.

Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Directions for earlier versions are at
http://www.gmayor.com/customize_the_word_places_bar.htm. No guarantee that
they work in Word 2007.

"Tim" wrote in message
That's apparently true for all places except for "Trusted Templates."

There
is no option to "Move Down" and no option to move the one below it up.
Where in the registry can I get rid of this?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If Word 2007 is like previous versions, you can't remove the default
"places" except by editing the Registry (which affects your ability to

add
new places), but you can move them down. If your custom places fill the
Places Bar, the default ones will be hidden.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the
list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure

what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.

Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click

in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tim,

As Suzanne mentioned the 'default' choices in the File Open/File Save 'Places Bar' are in the registry.

You can hide most of the built-ins by modifying the registry for Word 2000 and higher using the techniques shown in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826214/en-us?FR=1

For Office 2007 the 'Trusted Templates' are sort of tied to the settings in Word 2007 under
Office Button-Word Options=Trust Center=Trust Center Settings
for 'Trusted Locations'
But, even if you disable the trusted locations choice there it still appears in File=Open and it doesn't, at first look, appear to
be an item that fan be hidden from the registry entry mentioned in the article above.

=============
"Tim" wrote in message ...
Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list. Any
ideas?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Harris[_2_] Don Harris[_2_] is offline

Glad it worked for you. I'm so confused I'm ready to scream. Word 2007,
Vista Business. The My Places Bar does not seem to exist. On the left of my
File pen and File Save As Boxes I have a list that starts with "Favorite
Links", "Templates", "Documents", etc., then a area called "Folders".
Nowhere does it look like or behave like the My Places Bar from 2003. The
help window inside Office 2007 shows a different box than the one that opens
in Word 2007. I've Googles. I've searched microsoft.com and found nothing,
except for Tim's post with the question and his response "That works". Can
anyone help. I've been using Word for years and am pretty proficient, so
this is really hassling me. Thanks in advance.

Don

"Tim" wrote:

Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list. Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi, Don,

Once you figure it out, you're going to *love* file dialogs in Office
2007/Vista. They're much more flexible than Places, and Favorite Links
follow you into Windows Explorer, not just Office 2007 applications.

The left side of the file dialog boxes (called the Navigation Pane) can be
any mix of Favorite Links and Folders. Drag the top of Folders up or down to
resize. Or, double-click Folders to display all or part of the system file
folders.

When you see a location you'd like to be a "Place" (borrowing 2003 and
earlier's jargon) just drag it into Favorite Links. Those shortcuts can be
renamed so they're more useful, too, without affecting the name of the
actual location.

Also... look at Organize. Click Organize - Layout, and you'll see that there
are two other panes you can display as well (or not, if you prefer).

Look at the Search box in the upper right corner! Finally, searching that's
as easy as it should be. File-finding chores that took minutes in earlier
versions, now take seconds.

Mind you... there's not a lot about Vista that I like. But, the way search
and Favorite Links work make up for a lot of that UAC pain (for me, at
least).

Play with the File dialog boxes inside Word, Excel, etc. Compare them to
Windows Explorer. Except for the fact that you can display a menu in Windows
Explorer (Organize - Layout - Menu bar), the File dialog boxes and Windows
Explorer are basically the same.

One you "get" what you can do with Favorite Links, I think you'll start to
like the ease of use a lot more than Places.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

news

"Tim" wrote:

Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the
list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure
what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.
Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Harris[_2_] Don Harris[_2_] is offline

Herb:

You're wonderful. Thank you. Makes complete sense and works well. I think
I'll like it. But, don't you think that MS should actually have help about
that in the 2007 Office help files instead of giving people information about
how to do it in 2003? Thanks again. I can now save an appointment with a
psychiatrist.

Don

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

news

"Tim" wrote:

Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the
list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure
what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.
Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Don't get me started on 2007 Help... Years ago, I was spoiled by how easy
it was to find exactly what I was looking for in OS/2's Help system.
Windows' Help is a nightmare of frustration an inefficient design, allowing
you to find what you're looking for only a) by accident or b) if you happen
to know EXACTLY what the Help authors have chosen to call it (and if you
knew that, you probably wouldn't heed help in the first place, would you?).
When I'm in Word, searching for help in Word 2007, the Help system shouldn't
show me stuff having to do with Access 2003... should it? But it sometimes
does. sigh

Glad to help.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

news

"Tim" wrote:

Thanks. That works. So how do I remove some of the defaults in the
list?
The folder at the top is called "Trusted Templates" (I'm not even sure
what
that is), and apparently can't be removed or even moved down the list.
Any
ideas?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote
in message ...
Hi Tim,

In Word 2007 navigate to the folder you want to add then right click
in
the places bar on the left side of the Open or Save dialog
and choose 'Add'.

============
"Tim" wrote in message
XP.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Previews in Open/Insert picture dialog boxes Bobbi Page Layout 2 May 8th 07 02:00 PM
Folder or file details pop-up in "save" or "open" dialog boxes. GW Microsoft Word Help 2 November 18th 06 08:27 AM
Dialog boxes Alvin Microsoft Word Help 2 November 11th 06 06:51 PM
After modifying documents, "save as" is not an option rc Microsoft Word Help 6 June 15th 05 01:23 PM
Word File Open and Save Dialog Boxes Places Bar Customization NDeL Microsoft Word Help 2 March 12th 05 04:27 AM