Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k-mo k-mo is offline

Default Shortcut keys in Word 2007

How do I create shortcut keys in Word 2007 for special characters? In Word
2003 I used to use Ctrl+~, u, to create a u with a tilde above it, but when i
try to do it in Word 2007 it says "Word cannot change the function of the
specified key." Also some characters are missing like the "e" with a tilde
over it. Do they plan to have it in the final release? I work in linguistics
with a lot of non standard characters and it's helpful to create shortcut
keys for them instead of clicking on the symbols. I hope they don't take this
function away in the final release!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Where those shortcut keys automatically present in 2003 or did you
create them?
Where are some of those characters missing?
What languages do you work with?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"k-mo" wrote in message
:

How do I create shortcut keys in Word 2007 for special characters? In Word
2003 I used to use Ctrl+~, u, to create a u with a tilde above it, but when i
try to do it in Word 2007 it says "Word cannot change the function of the
specified key." Also some characters are missing like the "e" with a tilde
over it. Do they plan to have it in the final release? I work in linguistics
with a lot of non standard characters and it's helpful to create shortcut
keys for them instead of clicking on the symbols. I hope they don't take this
function away in the final release!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
k-mo k-mo is offline

Thanks for replying.
I created the shortcut keys in 2003. The Ctrl+~ sequence only worked for a,
o, and n, so I also assigned the same keys for the e, i, and u with a tilde
over it.

When I compared both versions of Word I see that the Latin Extended
Additonal set, which contains those characters, is not available with the
Calibri font. However even when I switched over to Times New Roman and saw
the characters it still would not let me assign a shortcut to them.

I work with Amazonian languages, which have a wide variety of orthographies.
In the past, a tilde over a vowel was sometimes used to indicate nasalization
of that vowel. Even though that's not used much anymore, sometimes I like to
type things the way it appeared originally before I put it in a more modern
format.

: