jay m

Default "keep with next" - conditions where it fails?

Word 2002, Win 2k pro
25 page doc, mostly text.
Heading styles are all set to 'keep with next', no other styles do.

However- I see a heading 3 at the bottom of a page, apart from the
following paragraph, which is a 'List 2' style.

Any ideas why that heading isn't on the same page as its following
paragraph?
I did use Ctrl-space and Ctrl-q to make sure it was the style alone.
???

Jezebel

Sometimes 'Keep with Next' just isn't possible: for example if the style
definitions call for it to be kept with both the preceding paragraph and
with the following matter which on its own occupies a full page.

"jay m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Word 2002, Win 2k pro
25 page doc, mostly text.
Heading styles are all set to 'keep with next', no other styles do.

However- I see a heading 3 at the bottom of a page, apart from the
following paragraph, which is a 'List 2' style.

Any ideas why that heading isn't on the same page as its following
paragraph?
I did use Ctrl-space and Ctrl-q to make sure it was the style alone.
???

Check to make sure that List 2 isn't also set as KWN; if there are enough of
those paragraphs to (nearly) fill a page, Word will keep chasing its tail to
keep them together. Also, I hope I don't have to say that if you have an
empty paragraph ("blank line") between the heading and the list, then KWN
will not work.

"jay m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Word 2002, Win 2k pro
25 page doc, mostly text.
Heading styles are all set to 'keep with next', no other styles do.

However- I see a heading 3 at the bottom of a page, apart from the
following paragraph, which is a 'List 2' style.

Any ideas why that heading isn't on the same page as its following
paragraph?
I did use Ctrl-space and Ctrl-q to make sure it was the style alone.
???

LC Killingbeck

"jay m" wrote in news:1131730409.048756.58320
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Word 2002, Win 2k pro
25 page doc, mostly text.
Heading styles are all set to 'keep with next', no other styles do.

However- I see a heading 3 at the bottom of a page, apart from the
following paragraph, which is a 'List 2' style.

Any ideas why that heading isn't on the same page as its following
paragraph?
I did use Ctrl-space and Ctrl-q to make sure it was the style alone.
???

In addition to other responses, if the following paragraph has the
"keep together" property and that paragraph would fill an entire page,
such that the heading and paragraph will not fit on a single page,
you have given Word an impossible combination. Check whether you are
having a "keep with..." and "keep together" interaction.

Lynn Killingbeck
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
jay m

Thanks for the suggestions.
I wasn't able to find any of those conditions., though.
There were no other "keep with next" styles, and no page-long
paragraphs.
Oh, well- Windows Happens.

The doc does seem to be behaving itself at the moment...
cheers
Jay

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

Did you also look for "Page break before" formatting (on the Line and
Page Breaks tab of the Paragraph dialog box) in the paragraph
following the Heading 3 paragraph?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jay m" wrote in message
ups.com...
Word 2002, Win 2k pro
25 page doc, mostly text.
Heading styles are all set to 'keep with next', no other styles do.

However- I see a heading 3 at the bottom of a page, apart from the
following paragraph, which is a 'List 2' style.

Any ideas why that heading isn't on the same page as its following
paragraph?
I did use Ctrl-space and Ctrl-q to make sure it was the style alone.
???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
jay m

I think so.
Truthfully, I don't even remember what document that was.
It is either complete or obselete, I guess.

Thanks!
Jay