Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Staunts Staunts is offline

Default Merging a document automatically based on excel or csv data ?

Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet (or csv) file that I want to be able to have
merged into a word doc (i.e. Name , Address etc etc)

Is there some way I can "force" word to use this data when opened,
rather than have to use the merge button etc.

I don't want any user interraction and basically just want to print the
"populated" word document.
access).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you save the document with the data source attached and the merge fields
in place, the next time that you open it, it should still be attached, ready
to go.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Staunts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet (or csv) file that I want to be able to have
merged into a word doc (i.e. Name , Address etc etc)

Is there some way I can "force" word to use this data when opened,
rather than have to use the merge button etc.

I don't want any user interraction and basically just want to print the
"populated" word document.
access).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Staunts Staunts is offline

Hi Doug,

with this approach does it still require me to hit the merge button to
merge the data ? I will be printing off over 40 documents at once, so I
was hoping to not have to do that.

cheers,

Adam

"Staunts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet (or csv) file that I want to be able to have
merged into a word doc (i.e. Name , Address etc etc)

Is there some way I can "force" word to use this data when opened,
rather than have to use the merge button etc.

I don't want any user interraction and basically just want to print the
"populated" word document.
access).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you mean that you have 40 records in the data source, it is only
necessary to execute the merge once, directly to the printer.

How are you doing it now?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

oups.com...

"Staunts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet (or csv) file that I want to be able to have
merged into a word doc (i.e. Name , Address etc etc)

Is there some way I can "force" word to use this data when opened,
rather than have to use the merge button etc.

I don't want any user interraction and basically just want to print the
"populated" word document.
access).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Staunts Staunts is offline

Hi Doug,

I am hoping to print out 40 word documents, with details from a 1 line
csv file.

The csv will contain, for example, simply name and address details etc
that will form the header for each document.

The documents will all have the name and address info at the top of
each page(for 40 different word documents).

This is part of a new system

am I making sense here ?

cheers

"Staunts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I have a spreadsheet (or csv) file that I want to be able to have
merged into a word doc (i.e. Name , Address etc etc)

Is there some way I can "force" word to use this data when opened,
rather than have to use the merge button etc.

I don't want any user interraction and basically just want to print the
"populated" word document.
access).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would combine all of the documents into one.

See the "Preserving Section Formatting when Pasting between Documents" item
in the article at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm