Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vince vince is offline

Default Chapter-Section-Page format in Page Numbering?

I have a document that I have applied styles, multi levels, page breaks and
section breaks.

Chapter 1
Section 1
Paragraph 1-1-1
Paragraph 1-1-2
Section 2
Paragraph 1-2-1
Paragraph 1-2-2
Chapter 2
Section 1
Paragraph 2-1-1 and so on!

Is there any way to number the pages with the "Chapter Number"-"Section
Number"-"Page number" Automatically? I have searched this site and googled,
and still cannot do it. I had originally numbered the document, but when I
created my table, it would only bring up the last page number. This being my
ultimate goal, to have the TOC show all page numbers!!
--
atcvinie
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vince vince is offline

Stefan,

Thanks for the quick response. I have already read this along with several
other documents, web sites and tutorials. The problem I am having is I
cannot get 3 numbers in my page number. I need the page number to look like
this: "1-1-1" for "Chapter 1"-"Section 1"-"Page Number 1". The problem i am
having is it will only allow a "Chapter" number in front of the page so I end
up with 1-1.

The only other way i have been able to work with this is use the "section"
number and then go back and manually put in hte Chapter number in front of
the generated number. That is when I run into the problem with the TOC only
taking the page number.
--
atcvinie

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You should be able to include the numbering of Heading 2 with the page
number, which of course assumes that you have a "1 Heading 1 1-1 Heading 2"
format selected.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vince vince is offline

I have "Heading 1" Styled for my "Chapter"
I have "Heading 2" Styled for my "Section"
I have "Paragraph 1" Styled for "Chapter 1, Section 1 Paragraphs so I could
indvidually number each paragraph. (i.e., 1-1-1, 1-1-2, 1-2-1 etc.,)
Now I want the page numbering set up that way, but the only option I have
when formatting page numbers is to add a "Chapter" in front of the page
number. Word does not allow me to place a "Chapter' and "Section" in front
of the page number, unless I am not doing this correctly. I do see that i
have the choice for only one, "Heading 1", "Heading 2" and so on, but not
both.

I have gone so far as to research the switches under "alt f9" to see if
there was anything I could do there. Once again, thank for you assistance!!!!
--
atcvinie

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I wrote, Heading 2 must include the numbering of Heading 1 ("1-1"
format); otherwise what you are trying to do won't work.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Starting with the built-in "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3"
format (and then modifying it) is the easiest approach. Which version of
Word are you using?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2007, the quickest way to get started is via Home tab | Multilevel
List; click the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" built-in
format. Then place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph of
the document. On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click Define
New Multilevel List. Click Level 2. In the "Enter formatting for this level"
box, replace the current separator (the period) with a hyphen.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
2007
--
atcvinie

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
vince vince is offline

Thanks for all you help!!!!!
--
atcvinie

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In Word 2007, the quickest way to get started is via Home tab | Multilevel
List; click the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" built-in
format. Then place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph of
the document. On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click Define
New Multilevel List. Click Level 2. In the "Enter formatting for this level"
box, replace the current separator (the period) with a hyphen.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
2007
--
atcvinie

"Vince" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You are welcome!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message
Thanks for all you help!!!!!
--
atcvinie

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In Word 2007, the quickest way to get started is via Home tab |
Multilevel
List; click the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" built-in
format. Then place the insertion point in the first Heading 1 paragraph
of
the document. On the Home tab, click Multilevel List, and then click
Define
New Multilevel List. Click Level 2. In the "Enter formatting for this
level"
box, replace the current separator (the period) with a hyphen.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Vince" wrote in message