+-Steve-+

Default A fixed amount of Styles?

I'm sure that I'm not using Word the way it was intended to be used. I know
that I need to get control of Styles but I am very confused about how to do
this.

I am working on a document that is a specification and it is filled with
numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, with table of contents. I am finding that
when I try to move things around I get mixed up Styles and margins. Then I
try to reset the Style and end up making a another Style that is derivative
of one of the original ones. I have lots of Styles that don't aren't what I
want.

Ideally I would like to take thisdocument and strip out all the Style
information.

Then build about ten styles -- one for each Heading 1, Heading 1.1, Heading
1.1.1., etc. and one for each body of text under each heading, so Body 1,
Body 1.1, Body 1.1.1, .etc and maybe a few more.

Then I would like to lock down the Styles so that they couldn't change.

Then set Word so that I can't make any more Styles in that document.

Then reassign each paragraph with the appropriate Style.

Does this make sense?

SteveK

TF

Steve

It really would help to have know which version of Word you are using?!

However, let's start by stating that the heading styles you are referring to
are using Outline Numbering. You should strive to keep to Word's built-in
styles names for Headings because it makes it easier to create a ToC -
though this isn't absolutely necessary. So what you need to do is to create
a template and ensure that all the customised styles are stored with the
template. In Word 2003, you have more control over styles and are able to
define which styles are displayed with that template. If you write protect
your template, it will stop users being able to make any permanent change to
the template styles - although they may make changes on a document that they
create from the template.

I recommend that you take a look at some of the tutorials linked on the site
below, particularly the two 'Creating a Template' articles which should get
you pointing the right way.

http://word.mvps.org/Tutorials/index.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: I am working on a document that is a specification and it is filled with
: numbering 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, with table of contents. I am finding
that
: when I try to move things around I get mixed up Styles and margins. Then
: try to reset the Style and end up making a another Style that is
derivative
: of one of the original ones. I have lots of Styles that don't aren't what
: want.
:
[...]

JulieD

Hi Steve

i would suggest having a good read of Shauna Kelly's notes on styles &
numbering, bullets, headings & outlines on her web page at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html

i could never get the hang of outline numbering (1 1.1 1.1.1 etc) until i
read shauna's article and now it works everytime (yay!)

Cheers
JulieD

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
[...]

+-Steve-+

It really would help to have know which version of Word you are using?!

Forgot to mention Office2003.

I'm going to read the two references that you and another have recommended.

However, let's start by stating that the heading styles you are referring
are using Outline Numbering. You should strive to keep to Word's built-in
styles names for Headings because it makes it easier to create a ToC -
though this isn't absolutely necessary. So what you need to do is to
create
a template and ensure that all the customised styles are stored with the
template. In Word 2003, you have more control over styles and are able to
define which styles are displayed with that template. If you write protect
your template, it will stop users being able to make any permanent change
the template styles - although they may make changes on a document that
they
create from the template.

I understand the value of using a .dot to start with but is there a way to
keep others (or myself for that matter) from accidentally adding or editing
Styles?

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Steve

In the template yes: by write protecting the template.
In a document, not really. This is something that (we hope) will be
dramatically improved in the next version of Office. However, I found at
work that a combination of creating templates that restrict the Styles
Available and make them easily accessible by creating a custom Toolbar with
style buttons has reduced 95% of the garbage that I used to find in
documents!

Terry

"+-Steve-+" wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
:
: "+-Steve-+" wrote in message
: ...
: : I'm sure that I'm not using Word the way it was intended to be used.
: know
: : that I need to get control of Styles but I am very confused about how
: do
: : this.
: :