Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Monica

Default Mail Merge - Word cannot open data source

I am trying to create address labels using Mail Merge in Word 2003 and Excel
2003. Whenever I get to step 3 in the mail merge wizard to select recipients,
I click browse and select my excel spreadsheet. It then prompts me to
Confirm Data source. I then select Excel Worksheet with DDE. Then it asks
me the range. I select "entire spreadsheet". Then I received an error that
"Word cannot open datasource". Do you know why I am getting this error?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TW9uaWNh?=,

I am trying to create address labels using Mail Merge in Word 2003 and Excel
2003. Whenever I get to step 3 in the mail merge wizard to select recipients,
I click browse and select my excel spreadsheet. It then prompts me to
Confirm Data source. I then select Excel Worksheet with DDE. Then it asks
me the range. I select "entire spreadsheet". Then I received an error that
"Word cannot open datasource". Do you know why I am getting this error?

DDE is very old technology, and mail merge over DDE works less and less on newer
systems. I don't know why, in any particular case, the error message appears.
Have you tried re-booting Windows, opening Word, and trying to link up (without
first opening Excel or the file in Excel)? And again with Excel already running
(but the data source file not openend)? And with the data source file open?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Flot26D9c

Cindy:

I am having a similar problem with Word 2000. I have a bunch of contacts in
Outlook 2000. In Word, using a pre-made template for mailing labels, I do a
mail merge, form letter - active window. When I pick on data source, I choose
address book, Outlook address book, and I get a "Word was unable to open the
data source." message. I am running Windows XP, SP2. I have been able to do
this previously with XP, SP2. I can't figure out why it's stopped working...
Repairing the Office installation didn't help, either.

Any thoughts?
Scott G.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TW9uaWNh?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Flot26D9c" wrote in message
Cindy:

I am having a similar problem with Word 2000. I have a bunch of contacts
in
Outlook 2000. In Word, using a pre-made template for mailing labels, I do
mail merge, form letter - active window. When I pick on data source, I
choose
address book, Outlook address book, and I get a "Word was unable to open
the
data source." message. I am running Windows XP, SP2. I have been able to
do
this previously with XP, SP2. I can't figure out why it's stopped
working...
Repairing the Office installation didn't help, either.

Any thoughts?
Scott G.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TW9uaWNh?=,

[...]