John Esmay

Default Zip Field Jumps Out Of Place

Word 2000 & Excel on XP: Excel Xmas card list to Word label mail merge. The
result is that the zip field jumps up in front of the First_Name field and
the Last_Name field disappears.

30071 Joe
XYZ Co
555 Whatever
Atlanta Ga

When inserting the merge fields I notice the zip field has "M_" in front of
the data; eg. M_30071. In Excel the field is formated as Zip or +4 as
necessary

Help ? and Thanks
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBFc21heQ==?=,

Hmmmm. Please test the following:

- Start Word in SAFE MODE: START/Run, type: winword.exe /a
then press Enter

- create a label merge using the new document Word shows you, linking to the
same Excel data source.

- when you merge to a new document do you still see the abherrent behavior?

Further questions:

1. How is the zip field named in the Excel data source?

2. Are you selecting a connection method, or just using what Word does
automatically? If you are selecting, what are you selecting? If you're not
selecting, is Word opening the Excel file?

Word 2000 & Excel on XP: Excel Xmas card list to Word label mail merge. The
result is that the zip field jumps up in front of the First_Name field and
the Last_Name field disappears.

30071 Joe
XYZ Co
555 Whatever
Atlanta Ga

When inserting the merge fields I notice the zip field has "M_" in front of
the data; eg. M_30071. In Excel the field is formated as Zip or +4 as
necessary

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

JohnEsmay

Thanks Cindy,

I have not tried your SAFE Mode suggestion yet. Will do that soon.

To answer your Questions; 1. The Zip field is named "ZIP"; 2. I am using
what Word does as well as the Avery Wizard. Word is opening the Excel file.
When selecting the fields the Zip field has a "M_" in front of the number.

The cards went by another method, but still like to understand this deal.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

John